"Where We Are" w/Lurker

Started by Blooby, January 09, 2023, 08:41:22 PM

Blooby

Anywhere We Are (224) - Lurker & Blooby
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Holy Hell, did I ever hypercompress this mix.

I think I screwed up the title again. John always asks me to remember these things after the bourbon... Ha!

Peace.

Blooby

Ted

At first I heard, "I and my bike will keep you." I thought, Cool! A song about bikes!

Anyway...

That first guitar note grabbed my attention. If there is ever a competition to create a new National Anthem for the United States, this would be a strong contender. Or perhaps it's too on-the-nose.

It's not too compressed. Maybe too much reverb – makes it kind of boomy, and buries the bass. (Just a little. Don't sweat it if you want to move on to the next song.)

Thematically and lyrically: I think the haughty "we are the elite and you are forever peons" lyrics and vocal delivery (Great job, Lurker.) work well against music – which shifts from major-chord confidence to hints of insecurity in the dissonance.  This elite is posturing, knowing he is not as indomitable as he wants you to believe. It's a member of the ruling class having a public meltdown, saying the quiet part out loud, caught on video, and posted to [insert social media platform].
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Greeny

Loose but confident, and with just a bit of snarl. Stunning guitar work and a theatrical, impassioned vocal that fits it all like a glove. Really digging those psyched-up chorus melodies. Doesn't sound too compressed to me, but the reverb is quite big - like a live performance. Which is no bad thing to my ears. Great stuff!

Groundy

I always enjoy your songs and this is no exception, great vox and first-class guitar playing, well done

#)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

StephenM

immediately have to hear this again! 
That voice sounds familiar.  Against that fuzz guitar, it sounds colossal.
This sounds live as I am listening on cans.. but i really love that...it has lots of energy...

that lead guitar, drums, bass, and vocals really pack a punch..

lyrically strong

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

It does sound a tad compressed. Either you played everything to full tilt, or went a bit heavy with the master buss compression.

Then again it fits the song and the added glue makes everything sound more together. There are some parts that sound like they're borderline chaotic and I LIKE THAT!

I don't know what this year brings, but if it's the playful darkness i'm all for it (There was another song that brought this notion on me, so i'm just echoing that sentiment here. Kinda like Mr. Bluesberry and his sudden case of spandex mania!).

The songwriting reminded me a bit of U2 and something a tad heavier from the 80's. The soloing was more psychedelic and rooted in the 60's, or inverted into 90's.

(I have zero knowledge what i was trying to say there, but i'll let that slip. It'll be our secret!).

Good stuff!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Blooby

Quote from: Zoltan on January 10, 2023, 10:38:22 AMIt does sound a tad compressed. Either you played everything to full tilt, or went a bit heavy with the master buss compression.

The wav file looked like the fattest slug you've ever seen. 

Zoltan

Quote from: Blooby on January 10, 2023, 10:40:53 AMThe wav file looked like the fattest slug you've ever seen. 

You can then call it as the 2000s CD-remaster!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

BerryPatch

I for one really like the compressed sound here. It seems to get a bad rap but sometimes a decent amount of compression is all you need to send a song to the stratosphere! Very cool Gilmourish guitar and excellent vocals with a soaring chorus. Another great one!

Lurker

I've just gotten home from slaving for "The Man". Here are the lyrics. I have no idea what they mean. I'm perfectly happy being a bottom dweller.

Honest.

Where We Are

Unfortunate children
Unrealized dreams
Underfinanced facilities
Bursting at the seams

We won't help you
We don't have to care
It's your problem
Whatever happens there

You'll never get where we are
You'll never get anywhere at all