Just Can’t Get Enough - Depeche Mode - Lost in 2022

Started by ODH, January 01, 2023, 08:59:36 AM

ODH

Enough
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Lost_in_2022 (banner image missing)

Depeche Mode keyboard player and co-founder Andrew Fletcher died in June from heart problems, aged just 60.

This song is special to me. In school some 40 years ago I was in a band and this is one of the songs we played (or at least attempted). I never realised at the time that the people making this great new music in these bands were literally only two or three years older than me.

The version I've made is in shuffle timing; I always found the original a bit too 'straight' and a bit metronomic. It was a bit like doing a crossword puzzle adapting it with only three beats to play with not four. And I've added some extras with the bassoon and oboe towards the end.

I was planning on having a guitar part, possibly slide, but the song went in a different direction.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Bluesberry

Fabulous, you have made it all new.....was there any spandex involved in the recording process?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Pete C

Great job on this Nick - you always do great covers from the synth era ! Like how you've changed the tempo on this and it works well.

Hope you have a great 2023 - I know I've not been around much this last quarter and missed a lot of what's been going on on SC.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

launched

I feel the spandex here - Impressive version, very original cover, glad you just did it how ever the hell you wanted to. I was a teenager, listening to Yes, Tull, Sabbath, Zep etc. Not into this stuff at all. I even had a Michael Jackson phase for a bit which I'm not ashamed of at all because he was great, everyone can kiss my ass if you think differently :)

A buddy of mine was so into this stuff, Psych Furs, Human League, and of course Numan which I did think were a super bunch of groups.

And I am the first generation viewer of MTV. Anyone who had cable TV in that period was a superstar (which I didn't have at the time), and had a large gathering of kids daily. Remember listening to this one in high school study hall, and then it all builds to "reach out and touch faith". Friggin' monumental.

Sorry to rant, this tune is great!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

Quote from: launched on January 01, 2023, 09:53:25 AMeveryone can kiss my ass if you think differently :)
They can kiss your spandex covered ass...........swaddled in spandex...there is a great name for one of these old bands

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Rene Asologuitar

Hi ODH,
I know Depeche Mode, but have not heard of this song before.
Thanks for reminding me of this great band.
Love this rendition, and thanks for sharing this recording.
Happy New Year!
Rene

Ted

Loving this, the breakdown, the whole thing, actually. You are a fine producer, but this production seems particularly lovingly done

I'm not sure if I know the original. You've changed it to 3/4 time. (Or is it 12/8?). Maybe it's changed so much that only a Depeche Mode fan would recognize it in this form.

BRB...

Okay. I listened to the original and it's very vaguely familiar. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the danceteria music of that era. I mean, I went to danceterias at the time (esp The Devil House) and usually had a bad time (but at least I didn't stay at home, I told myself). I'm reminded of the song "Instant Club Hit" by the Dead Milkmen, which includes the line, "You'll dance to anything by Depeche Commode," and otherwise captures my bad attitude of the time. The Dead Milkmen song doesn't age well, with the inclusion of the epithet "art fags." So Depeche Mode comes out on top of that spat. (The Dead Milkmen later clarified/reassessed their appraisal of Depeche Mode.)

What I'm saying is: Synthpop was never my thing. And even today with my aging mind more open to songs, bands, and genres I used to dislike categorically, the original doesn't really touch me.  But I'll come back to your cover. Downloaded.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Wonderful! I think i prefer this to the original. I agree with the original being a bit stiff. This is so playful and relaxed that it really draws the listener into it.

And i really enjoyed the whole write up too!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

I remember how disappointed I was that I missed Depeche Mode while sitting with diahrea on the commode.  So my mode was kind of a bit more than deepesch....

but gol ly this sounds incred... as only you could do... you are hittin =g me here like annie lennot=x can

sort of like when "here comes the rain" hits me... or maybe "woud i lie to u" comes on...

yeah Nick... I ajst can't get enuff of this .... of your music

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner