Need Help with Karaoke setup [blushes with embarassment]

Started by Ted, December 29, 2022, 09:34:16 AM

Ted

Here in Madagascar, karaoke is huge. If you don't have a karaoke system at home, why would you even have guests over to your house? My wife is Malagasy, and we are having family over for New Years Eve.

Today I bought a wireless receiver with two microphones. I thought I could just plug run the cable to the 1/8 inch input in the back of my boombox – like I do with my iPod.

It works, but not very well. The level is very low and distorted.

Sony-Sy-338-wireless-microphones-1200x675px.jpg

JBL_Boombox_8.jpg

So I reckon that I need some kind of volume boost – preferably something simple and cheap. What do I need? A headphone amplifier? A line-level preamp?

I think this thing is made so that you can plug in an iPod or a phone, so it probably needs whatever line levels those kinds of devices put out.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Pete C

I'm thinking that the receiver is designed to be connected to a pa system which would amplify the signals from the mic. I'm wondering if you could connect the receiver to the mic/input on your Micro BR then take a lead from the BR's headphone/line out socket to the Boom box. You might even be able to use some of the BR's vocal effects in the signal chain?

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

Quote from: Pete C on December 29, 2022, 12:40:27 PMI'm thinking that the receiver is designed to be connected to a pa system which would amplify the signals from the mic. I'm wondering if you could connect the receiver to the mic/input on your Micro BR then take a lead from the BR's headphone/line out socket to the Boom box. You might even be able to use some of the BR's vocal effects in the signal chain?

Pete

Brilliant idea, I think this is your best and easiest route.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ted

Quote from: Pete C on December 29, 2022, 12:40:27 PMI'm wondering if you could connect the receiver to the mic/input on your Micro BR then take a lead from the BR's headphone/line out socket to the Boom box. You might even be able to use some of the BR's vocal effects in the signal chain?

I thought of this too. I think it will work, but at the same time I don't want this to be the permanent solution. I want my wife and her family and my kid to be able to do karaoke without borrowing my Micro BR. But this might get us through New Years Eve.

Thanks!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Hilary

We just put YouTube on the TV and search for the Karoke version of the song we want to sing . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça