"Him or Me"

Started by Frank53, June 21, 2009, 08:35:23 AM

Frank53

him_me_mstr1
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This was the first original I ever recorded, from back in '03 or '04. The tenor sax is on my Yamaha Motif ES, with a breath controller. That's how I do all my horn parts. It's a little rough, but I knew even less about recording then than I do now.  :o

Frank
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

hooper

Wow... this is so good!   It's got it all... great writing, performance and production and a lot of attention to quality and detail along the way.  What kind of machine was this recorded on?
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Frank53

Thanks, Hooper. I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad you asked what it was recorded on, because when I realized when I recorded it, it struck me that it may have been before I got my '900. This may have been on a BR-864 (which I used for a short time). I think I imported it to the '900 at some point to remix and master it, though.

Thanks again,
Frank
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Bosko Schwartz

Fantastic work, as always.  This doesn't sound amateur at all.  I believe you heard one of my first recordings, as I regretfully posted the original version of "Gone," so THAT is what a first recording is supposed to sound like.  Your first sounds like you just stepped out of the studio with Steely Dan's producer.  Immaculate production.

Good song, too.  Nice early 80s Hall & Oates/Jackson Browne vibe.

You need to stop saying this is just a "hobby."  I would like to know what you do for a living, and if this is a hobby, how good are you at what you actually get PAID for???

;D :o ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Frank53

Thank you very much, Bosko. I appreciate the listen and the comments. This was my first ORIGINAL recording. I did a number of covers prior to this. I started recording in 2002, putting together a CD of cover tunes. Printed the labels, liners, and inserts myself, and ran off enough copies for friends and family. I started the project on a BR-532, and finished it with an '864. The purpose of the CD was to learn a little recording, and to learn to play something other than drums. I played a little, but not enough to actually play real songs. I'll post a couple of these covers one of these days. It isn't pretty.  :-[

Thanks again,
Frank

Bluesberry

Great stuff.  With this as a first original song you show how much musical talent you have inside you for sure.  My first original is really pretty rough (posted on here under the microBR section) compared with this!!!!!!!!!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Frank53

Thank you very much, BB! As I've said before, apparent talent is proportional to the number of takes. LOL! I was actually pretty pleased with how it came out, considering it was my first original.

Thanks again,
Frank

guitarron

getting good sax parts without a sax player is tough-nice job very convincing-nice job all around

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

Love it!

80's vibe all over!

Production is great!!!!!

Peace

T(Osckilo
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

T.C. Elliott

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. As noted before the attention to detail was very good. I like how the mix sits together. No obvious out of balance spots. Good stuff.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London