Monkey Siren - A little personal history

Started by Ted, November 19, 2022, 11:16:40 AM

Ted

In a comment on alfstone's latest song, I thought I'd look to see if I could find a link to Monkey Siren, and I found this footage from 1992 that I'd never see before. It was just uploaded to YouTube earlier this year.

I credit this guy, Glen Taylor, for amping up my inspiration, and providing me with the courage to go to Africa. Around 1994, I was fascinated by and drawn to Africa, and at the same time paralyzingly intimidated by the thought of going there. I met Glen in 1995, in Denver, and we jammed a few times. I think he was nurturing the idea of the band that would ultimately become Monkey Siren. (Playing with Glen and his friends was amazing – way above my caliber at the time.) He gave me some mixtapes from music he'd collected during his travels to Africa (Mozambique). (Here's a blog post I wrote, mentioning Glen.) I also credit Glen for opening me up to pedal steel guitar. I've always wanted to play again with a steel player. My recent collab with Jean Paul is the closest I've come since 1995.

When I went back to college, I walked into the office of my college advisor in Arizona, and told him I was certain I wanted to go to Africa, "So what do I need to study?"

"French," he replied.

Oh shit. Glen had told me that everyone spoke English. Well, I reckon in Zimbabwe that was largely true.

I got to see Monkey Siren live a couple of times in 1991 when I passed through Denver again on my way to Cameroon, and I have all three of their albums.

So, when my life story is turned into a movie, there needs to be a pivotal scene where I meet the musician who had been to Africa and returned alive to tell the tale.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

There's not much Monkey Siren online. You can find their CDs used some places. I just found this YouTube Playlist. And here's one of my favorite songs:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

lots of fun, these folks sure like monkeying around...TIC...

seriously that machine he made is clever.  As a former tech who fixed all sorts of machines, electrical, electronic, pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical, whatever I found this to be just a tad frightening.  I had flashbacks to industry and some of the crazy machine adj we had to do to get the precision we needed... yikes, all those allen head screws...
I would never have been interested in music like this in those days... but its really good and fun...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner