The Band's Problem Solver

Started by Ted, November 15, 2022, 12:24:41 AM

Ted

In my cover band, we have a frequent problem: When we agree to learn a song, we often work from different versions of the song on YouTube, with different arrangements: the album version, the single version, the live version, etc.

So I've solved this problem.

• We agree on which version
  • I find the version on YouTube (or in my music library)
  • I download the video and convert it to an MP3 (using yt-dlp)
  • I change the sample rate to 44.1 kbps (using ffmpeg) – otherwise the MP3 won't play on the Micro BR
  • I tag the MP3 with the relevant TITLE, ARTIST, and GENRE (using Mp3tag)
  • I rename the file with a useful naming convention so they can be easily found by title in a folder (also using Mp3tag)
  • I upload the MP3 to a Google Drive folder that has been shared (multiple times) with everyone in the band.

Dies_Inside-2.png
Piece of cake!

Everything is nice and organized. Then...

Every Band Rehearsal Day

Guitarist: How does that part go again?

Singer: I know! Let's listen to it! [Types into phone]

YouTube: [Plays ads, then plays wrong version]

Me: [Dies]

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

bruno

Arrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

At least they didn't whip out an old radio gram and play the vinyl at slightly the wrong speed so that you have to transpose!  :D

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

T.C. Elliott

I literally learned "Pulling Teeth" by Green Day for a cover band years ago by listening to the bassist hum the parts he couldn't show me. When I finally heard the original I liked our version better.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Blooby

launched

And then you throw a huge stick in the spokes called "Alternate Guitar Tunings". Whether it's the song you cover or the band's preference, it really adds to the frustration...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

mdhastings

Oh, Ted! These tears you see on my face are from laughter. They're not from frustration at all... really... I mean it...