Golden Days - a Pipes + chapperz original

Started by chapperz66, November 09, 2022, 08:05:24 AM

chapperz66

01 - Chapman Coward - Golden Days
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Some weeks ago, my old mate Pipes invited me to have a play with his beautiful song Golden Days which he recorded on his first solo album many years ago.

It's a great song so I decided to go for a somewhat different arrangement.  I was aiming for a Styx "Boat on a River" style of feel.  Upright bass, mandolin etc.  I think it morphed into a Scottish folk style - so I added a rock guitar solo just to confuse anybody tempted to "strip the willow" to it!

As always, Nick performed a stunning vocal. 

The upright bass I played on keyboard using Trillian, the mandolins were played on Omnisphere and the orchestral stuff I played using a fair few Spitfire libraries - mainly Spitfire studio orchestra pro.  I do own a real mandolin but I'm a lot better on keyboards and they don't rip your fingers apart so much.  The guitar was a very real Fender strat ultra luxe Floyd through an axefx2.  Mixed and mastered in Studio one.

Enjoy.

Paul

Farrell Jackson

Hey, I'm the first to comment on this excellent song...good morning. Excellent vocals Pipes! The trillian-upright bass has a fine tone. The Strat solo playing and tone is top notch but too short, Paul ;). Yes, I can hear a bit of Styx vibe with the keys. Nicely done Chapman & Coward!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

Love the orchestration with its emphasis on the woodwind side, and the entire arrangement for that matter. And the vocals are fantastic. Seems that whatever you guys work on turns to gold!

Top-notch collab!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

StephenM

Takes me back to my boat on the river...lol.. ok Chapper sorry!  (that was a great album btw!)

I gotta say that as much as this music is stellar Pipes piping takes this off the planet far into the heavens.  Pipes of peace or Peace Pipes, this song is peaceful easy feeling. 
but there is that prog side to the music too...

superb job men

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

I felt like i was floating in the air while listening to this song. I'm not sure if it's down to the springs in this office chair, or the airy performances heard in this track.

There's a lot of joy and playfulness to this track as a whole. Pipes is showcasing a mighty fine theatrical vocal performance. Solid songwriting, great production in a musical blend where it never gets too heady while still floating at least 60cm(* above the floor.

(* Give, or take a few centimeters...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

thetworegs

as Cuthbert says a top notch collab excellent vocal loving that bass pumping throughout great solo a joyful track through out just what's needed

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Blooby

Very cool structure and arrangement. Mix and performances to match. I can't get over that upright being played via keys. Blimey.

Blooby

Redler

Just amazing job, guys!

The backer, with lots of instruments, sound so mellow and rich. Pipe's voice is always a pleasure to hear!

Excellent proggy twist and turns! Bravo guys!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR