"Folly's Weeds" w/Lurker

Started by Blooby, October 27, 2022, 07:56:12 PM

Blooby

Folly's Weeds (192) - Lurker & Blooby
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Another tune stitched together from my jam night with bassist buddy Russ. John came up with the lyrics after the fact, and we arranged it together when we eked out some time last week.

Peace.

Blooby

Ted

An excellent title. What the hell does it mean? I searched for it – thinking it might be the name of a novel, or famous phrase. Nope. Apparently that's an entirely new two-word combination.

This arrangement feels a little rushed – like it's not the final draft. For example, there's a bit of discordance in the bass under that ascending guitar bit – third and fourth measures. I like discordance, but to my ears it sounds like a mistake.

I particularly like the chord changes (key changes?) between the verse and chorus, and the spacy bit at the end!

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

TPB

I love the section are you the hammer or are you the nail I have been both so can relate
Very nice
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Farrell Jackson

Excellent vocals, especially the harmonies. The hammer/nail lyric lines are a great hook. I also heard the dissonant bass notes, which drew my attention at the start, but as the song went along my ears got use to the sound and it blended in just fine. Cool guitar and chords Blooby!   
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

Folly's weed?  Sounds like the beloved and often hated and misunderstood MJ!  Could be way off though.  That would be my interpretation of that!

I really love the bass on this.  The guitar effects get big and bigger also.  It's like this song goes through about 4 twists and turns and becomes a bit different and then comes back to the start again.

I really love the vocals on this.  Not just that Lurker sang because that is generally good enough.  It seems though the way the backing vocals or effects are make it somewhat different and very interesting to my ears.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Lurker

Quote from: Ted on October 28, 2022, 01:03:11 AMAn excellent title. What the hell does it mean? I searched for it – thinking it might be the name of a novel, or famous phrase. Nope. Apparently that's an entirely new two-word combination.

I came up with the lyrics while mowing the lawn. That may have influenced the choice of words. Bruce chose this phrase for the title.

Consumed by fear
Embracing hate
Where do these take you
What shapes your fate

Look to the teaching
Open your book
Find guiding wisdom
Learn where to look

Are you the hammer
Are you the nail
Or the hands that guide them
Toward mending what's failed

Whether you follow
Or take the lead
Seek the path of wisdom
Through folly's weeds

Open your mind
Free your heart
Examine your actions
Find a new start

Are you the hammer
Are you the nail
Or the hands that guide them
Toward mending what's failed

Anything human
Can lead astray
Do go blindly
Ware the way

Wisdom's as common
As humankind
Words may sound different
Where meaning is like

Pay heed to the choices
As you wend your way
Ignore angry voices
Seek peace each day

StephenM

Quote from: Lurker on October 28, 2022, 02:30:23 PM
Quote from: Ted on October 28, 2022, 01:03:11 AMAn excellent title. What the hell does it mean? I searched for it – thinking it might be the name of a novel, or famous phrase. Nope. Apparently that's an entirely new two-word combination.

I came up with the lyrics while mowing the lawn. That may have influenced the choice of words. Bruce chose this phrase for the title.

Just wondering if you write the lyrics while listening to the music?  Perhaps you write lyrics and make them fit the song.  Or you write lyrics and give them to Blooby and he "composes" the music.  I suspect maybe you have lyrics that you write while doing things, then when you get music you modify them to fit what you will sing and the music? 

You guys are a great duo... this one I really liked the bit different energy with the bass player...nice twist.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Blooby

Quote from: StephenM on October 29, 2022, 04:47:10 AMJust wondering if you write the lyrics while listening to the music?  Perhaps you write lyrics and make them fit the song.  Or you write lyrics and give them to Blooby and he "composes" the music.  I suspect maybe you have lyrics that you write while doing things, then when you get music you modify them to fit what you will sing and the music? 

John can respond better obviously, but it has happened both ways. I believe more often than not, he has a book of lyrics, and then he gets to feverishly tweaking them. And rather than shoehorn them into my music, there's always a back and forth with the arrangement. I think there have been a few occasions where the lyrics were developed on the spot.

Thanks for listening, all.

Lurker

It has happened in all ways. Sometimes I come with multiple pages of ideas, listen, and then choose the best fit and then begin editing. Sometimes Bruce sends me a musical idea, and I write what comes to mind. We have sat and worked out a tune together from scratch. I have also come in with a melody to fit the lyrics that Bruce uses to build upon.

Mowing the lawn is a two hour walk for me. The grass and weeds are not compelling enough to hold my attention for long. I may compose a philosophical treatise, a political rant, or a poem. Most are left among the clippings.

StephenM

Listening again.  This is a tune that gets better each listen.  The lyrics didn't really catch me until this time reading along while listening. 
That two hour walk amongst the folly certainly brought out some very sage views.  I really dig stuff like this where one can choose to dwell on these thoughts over time...
yes.. peace making... that is what I want to do... stay away from angry voices (even my own).

also thanks for explaining further your processes!  Great song. 

the music feels a bit like an enlightened 90's grunge thing.  That bass really works for me.  The drums are great and the guitar work as per usual is stellar...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24