A Love Letter to Songcrafters.org

Started by Ted, October 13, 2022, 01:39:05 PM

bruno

Quote from: Hook on October 16, 2022, 07:10:52 AMI also agree with all the sentiments here, Songcrafters is the friendliest, most positive place on the internet. Being a part of this community for over a decade now has been quite important to me for those reasons. I've lurked a few other recording sites and they can just be shitty mean for no reason. Music is so many different things to everybody at every stage of life/development/skill level (etc.) and I have always loved how SC embraces everyone who records themselves and wants to participate. I have learned an amazing amount of knowledge concerning recording, producing, songwriting, playing & performing from my fellow members, who have so graciously shared their talents, skills and knowledge with me. I've gotten to collaborate w/ musicians all over the world, I have a song somewhere that has 6 different flags flying on it. I've made amazing friendships, mine and Bruno's families have spent much time together and I have spent time with Blooby & Lurker. Launched and I spent a weekend holed up in a cabin writing, recoding, drinking & laughing. A short time later he & I both would, literally, travel the globe to meet friends that 10 years ago I would have said I never would meet. Weirdly, we have chronicled each others journeys here and sadly we have lost a few friends. Personally, Facemask & Tommy's passing were both hard for me, I cared for them both & I often worry about some members that have disappeared. That also just shows the strength of the community we have here...I think.
My family used to give me alot of shit for all the time I spent here but even they have learned to appreciate what it's given me and surprisingly them too. I will never forget my family, Bruno's family, Blooby and Lurker all sitting around tables at Tampa Bay Brewing Company laughing. The four of us performing  songs Bruno & I wrote 1000's of miles apart, together at The Bunker for my family, bruno's family...good memories.
Thanks for the thread Ted.
Rock on!
That's the truth brother. Playing in the car park in a warm summer evening in YBor city with you, Blooby and Lurker is one of 'those' moments in life - that is one of those memories that wont be forgot. Meeting Hook for the first time felt natural and like we'd known each other for years. The families are great friends and it is a connection that is simply magical. I thank SC for those experiences. There will be arguments and hissy-fits every now and then, but the connections run deep. We all take a break now and then - but home is where the heart is!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

launched

This is something I'm glad I didn't miss, thanks Ted. Three Mets and even had some of them streamed on video for me. I was the one that got the "Mariah Fookin' Cary" personally, and that was a moment so priceless I'm not sure I'll get another one like it. A few men that I am very fond of holed up in a cabin making music brought out awesome personality! I think Something Silent (One of the most covered and awesome tunes here) was in that session.

And then tumbleweeds... People just go their separate ways. It's weird how it happens but nice to know you can just pick it back up when you can. I hope everyone knows that. We are all friends here.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

And yes, George W. Bush gave me a noogie Ted.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ted

Quote from: launched on December 30, 2022, 10:34:24 AMAnd yes, George W. Bush gave me a noogie Ted.

When is the book coming out?

(Thanks for the blast from the past.)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

"I've never been to Manhattan", maybe that should be the title now. Yes, I've driven through the Bronx like all New Englanders do but never dipped in there. See Times Square and watch the ball drop, go to Katz's deli. Aimlessly walk down the sidewalks with a 100% chance of knowing I'll get mugged. Buy Yankees tickets from a scalper, I don't know. What else can you do in Manhattan. I've been everywhere else except LA but that place does not enchant me one bit.

And then the noogie, it would get fit in somewhere.

A coauthor would be necessary I think though.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

Quote from: Hook on October 16, 2022, 07:10:52 AMI also agree with all the sentiments here, Songcrafters is the friendliest, most positive place on the internet. Being a part of this community for over a decade now has been quite important to me for those reasons. I've lurked a few other recording sites and they can just be shitty mean for no reason. Music is so many different things to everybody at every stage of life/development/skill level (etc.) and I have always loved how SC embraces everyone who records themselves and wants to participate. I have learned an amazing amount of knowledge concerning recording, producing, songwriting, playing & performing from my fellow members, who have so graciously shared their talents, skills and knowledge with me. I've gotten to collaborate w/ musicians all over the world, I have a song somewhere that has 6 different flags flying on it. I've made amazing friendships, mine and Bruno's families have spent much time together and I have spent time with Blooby & Lurker. Launched and I spent a weekend holed up in a cabin writing, recoding, drinking & laughing. A short time later he & I both would, literally, travel the globe to meet friends that 10 years ago I would have said I never would meet. Weirdly, we have chronicled each others journeys here and sadly we have lost a few friends. Personally, Facemask & Tommy's passing were both hard for me, I cared for them both & I often worry about some members that have disappeared. That also just shows the strength of the community we have here...I think.
My family used to give me alot of shit for all the time I spent here but even they have learned to appreciate what it's given me and surprisingly them too. I will never forget my family, Bruno's family, Blooby and Lurker all sitting around tables at Tampa Bay Brewing Company laughing. The four of us performing  songs Bruno & I wrote 1000's of miles apart, together at The Bunker for my family, bruno's family...good memories.
Thanks for the thread Ted.
Rock on!

I obviously have to quote this personally. Absolutely in your musical debt Hook.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

StephenM

Ted,
thanks for sharing more about how you made it to Africa.  You are an adventurous person and I am glad to hear how you got to start your life over again there.  I enjoy reading about any of your exploits that you have shared... I think it takes quite a bit of courage to just drop the world you know and go across the globe to stay.  My oldest son lived in Dubai with his wife and kids for 5 years. 

Songcrafters as a site is a balm to my soul.  I also have read enough posts from current time to all the way back to the start of this site to know that it has been an oasis for many  through the years.  In a way it's like a radio station where artists can drop their music off and get the station to play it for them.  That is quite nice.  I also think of it as a really nice small town with quite a few houses and folks who scurry here and there.  I suppose in a way  it is like any other town.  Some move in and some move out.  etc.. but it's a nice town.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

I'll not be able to conjure up the feels of the OP (and many of the comments) but I did want to chime in and add a thank you. I've been missing in action more than most but I do check in from time to time. Typically I spend a few weeks posting and sharing and then I'll be gone again on some new adventure. I'm happy to say that I still write a ton of songs and that's in part to the encouragement I received here doing my a song a week self challenge in 2010. I purposely don't post a lot of songs here because I don't spend the required time to comment on all the cool songs that deserve it so I feel it isn't fair. And I promise to give more song comments than I receive. After a discussion from years ago, I figure that's the least I can do when y'all welcome me back with open arms whenever I happen to come back around.

I wasn't going to mention it but might as well share, I'm a college student (again.) After a couple of decades away I'm finishing my Bachelor of Arts in English (with an emphasis in poetry) and will graduate this May. I also have several albums planned to release in the next year or so (but that'll depend on how busy I am with classes while working my normal 40+ a week.) So I'm trying to do some commenting in the winter break as I will definitely be AWOL (again) soon. This community is quite literally one of the few bastions of encouragement and kindness on the internet. Thank you for being you. (And a special thank you to all the moderators for taking over the site and making it the best.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

WarpCanada

Oh hi, I'm back after just such a little gap.

I have a bucket of song ideas rattling around in my head, and a notebook full of lyrics.

Finger paints out, let's make a mess!

[Warren]
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Ted

I tell ya! The Blackout Bumping Business ain't as easy as it looks.

Because my method is to choose a random week from the past when I was AWOL, it's no surprise that certain members come up more often than others. The more prolific and consistent a member is, the more often they come up. So I end up skipping over Oldrottenhead, The Gobi Desert Canoe Club, Hook, and ODH to try and get to know some of our less prolific members. And I usually skip over members who are long gone, giving preference to people who are still active – because, you know, community. Sometimes I say fuck it and go to the next random week. And sometimes I have to try two or three random weeks until I find a song to bump. It's not an exact science.

Songcrafters_Song_Posts_-_Analysis_-_Blackout_Bumps_-_Google_Sheets.jpg
Blackout Bumps by Member Snapshot Jan 20, 2023

You might say, Then stop for God's sake!

NO!

It's worth it! (he cries, a bit unhinged). I'm getting to know some members I've neglected over the last 14 years, 10 months, 23 days.

I'm also learning that some members I think I know well aren't as prolific as I imagined they are. Such as Geir. What a slacker.

Only 38 days until my 15-year anniversary on this site.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac