A Love Letter to Songcrafters.org

Started by Ted, October 13, 2022, 01:39:05 PM

alfstone

Quote from: Blooby on October 14, 2022, 08:20:14 PMI feel compelled to mention that I'm not wearing any underwear.

We do believe! No need to send any photo, please!  ;D

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Jean Pierre

QuoteFor those of you who don't speak French, JP doesn't mean "false friends" the way we mean it in English – a duplicitous person who pretends to be your friend. In French, faux amis (false friends) are "false cognates" – words or terms that are similar in both languages, but don't mean the same thing in both languages. These can lead to misunderstandings.

compréhensif means "understanding" (and complet means "comprehensive")
éventuellement means "possibility" (and finalement means "eventually")
une location means "a rental: (and un lieu means "a location")
sensible means "sensitive" (and raisonnable means "sensible")
commander means "to order" (and ordonner means "to command")

excellente rectification!, merci Ted
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Mike_S

Where to start. Life is difficult, I think most of us can agree. All of us go through periods where life is good and also times when it's not so easy. The thing about Songcrafters is it's always there in the background, a place to check in whether feeling good or bad. But especially when life is throwing it's shit at you it has a special importance I think. You can be sure of finding that strong encouraging spirit. The lack of pretentious, glory seeking, me first, wannabe pop stars is gloriously absent. That in itself leads one to feel a little better. On top of that you get to hear some shit hot music from criminally underappreciated folk from around the world, and follow their musical journeys. Thank the Lord for Songcrafters.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

maxit

What can I say I agree with you all, now it's about 10 years (i'm a kid lol) I'm here and there's nothing like this place over the internet. Full of friends and great songwriting, and a real communitiy. As a community, I lately tought, we together enjoy period of greatness and 'lowness', as the statistcs from ted show. We go away for a while or be less active, then we come back, and always there's a warm welcome - this I've learned, nothing to be ashamed of. In the end, some of the most amazing songs ever, I've listened here, from you, and I'm quite picky lol. In this place, we, together, experiment very a lot without any fear - that's cool and a rare find ! So I appreciate that Ted took a pen and wrote a love letter to just say what we all needed to be said. Thank you Ted ;-) . p.s. Hilary I miss you songs, what the heck write 'em down some lol!
recorder
Audacity

Hook

I also agree with all the sentiments here, Songcrafters is the friendliest, most positive place on the internet. Being a part of this community for over a decade now has been quite important to me for those reasons. I've lurked a few other recording sites and they can just be shitty mean for no reason. Music is so many different things to everybody at every stage of life/development/skill level (etc.) and I have always loved how SC embraces everyone who records themselves and wants to participate. I have learned an amazing amount of knowledge concerning recording, producing, songwriting, playing & performing from my fellow members, who have so graciously shared their talents, skills and knowledge with me. I've gotten to collaborate w/ musicians all over the world, I have a song somewhere that has 6 different flags flying on it. I've made amazing friendships, mine and Bruno's families have spent much time together and I have spent time with Blooby & Lurker. Launched and I spent a weekend holed up in a cabin writing, recoding, drinking & laughing. A short time later he & I both would, literally, travel the globe to meet friends that 10 years ago I would have said I never would meet. Weirdly, we have chronicled each others journeys here and sadly we have lost a few friends. Personally, Facemask & Tommy's passing were both hard for me, I cared for them both & I often worry about some members that have disappeared. That also just shows the strength of the community we have here...I think.
My family used to give me alot of shit for all the time I spent here but even they have learned to appreciate what it's given me and surprisingly them too. I will never forget my family, Bruno's family, Blooby and Lurker all sitting around tables at Tampa Bay Brewing Company laughing. The four of us performing  songs Bruno & I wrote 1000's of miles apart, together at The Bunker for my family, bruno's family...good memories.
Thanks for the thread Ted.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

des0free

Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading it. This place sure is special, I agree! I do not use any other form of "social media" - I guess this is my one exception, sort of! I have of course noticed previously that you said you moved from Arizona to Madagascar. I have wondered, since that seems like an unusual move, if you have explained that in any other posts (that I may have missed)?  Is this a job related thing, like are you the VP of the Madagascar branch of Starbucks? ;D Or do you teach English at the University of Madagascar or something? ;D Or it is just an adventure?
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: des0free on October 20, 2022, 08:04:27 PMI have wondered, since that seems like an unusual move, if you have explained that in any other posts (that I may have missed)?  Is this a job related thing, like are you the VP of the Madagascar branch of Starbucks? ;D Or do you teach English at the University of Madagascar or something? ;D Or it is just an adventure?

No, I never explicitly explained how and why I ended up in Madagascar. I "obliquely journaled" these changes – my songs and comments tell the story indirectly. I'm not trying to be mysterious, so here's the short version: I had experience working in international development and living in Africa a long time ago – and I really liked it. When my first marriage unraveled, I decided to return to Africa. I found an opportunity in Madagascar, and here I still am after eight years – and remarried.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

kenny mac

What an excellent post

Out of this little site many friendships have formed.
It's a powerful place .
Many great songs have been posted.
Pedro created something special.

alfstone

Quote from: Ted on October 20, 2022, 11:21:26 PM
Quote from: des0free on October 20, 2022, 08:04:27 PMI have wondered, since that seems like an unusual move, if you have explained that in any other posts (that I may have missed)?  Is this a job related thing, like are you the VP of the Madagascar branch of Starbucks? ;D Or do you teach English at the University of Madagascar or something? ;D Or it is just an adventure?

No, I never explicitly explained how and why I ended up in Madagascar. I "obliquely journaled" these changes – my songs and comments tell the story indirectly. I'm not trying to be mysterious, so here's the short version: I had experience working in international development and living in Africa a long time ago – and I really liked it. When my first marriage unraveled, I decided to return to Africa. I found an opportunity in Madagascar, and here I still am after eight years – and remarried.

You confirm what my father often told me, many, many years ago, about the "sickness of Africa": after you live for some time in Africa, you cannot do without it, there's a powerful wish to return. Common experience to many other people (friends, patients) too.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

godinqc

Yes, this site is Fantastic .. there are so many wonderful people on this site ..
I don't think that I would be playing/making music if this site did not exist.
It's wonderful to be able to listen to the great music/songs created here and be able to share our own songs also .. Keep up the great work ..

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800