Mix + record live band with only software FX - sufficiently low latency!

Started by des0free, September 30, 2022, 01:27:17 PM

des0free

Song Sung Blue Live
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I've been testing a live performance & recording rig (pic below) using only software FX (plugins) running on an inexpensive laptop. I'm using a Tascam USB interface, Reaper DAW software, and powered PA monitors (equipment list below).

Update: I simultaneously recorded/mixed 15 tracks, most running FX plugins, with acceptably low latency for live performance. I maybe hear very occasional minor noise glitches, but it could be because I was also using a new wireless guitar interface.

As a test, I recorded a vocal (CAD D90 mic) + electric guitar, along with a backing track ("Song Sung Blue"; Neil Diamond), while also recording a bunch of other "empty" tracks (but with plugins running, to simulate recording/mixing a whole band). I did not use my "favorite" plugins since I haven't transferred them to this laptop yet, so I used free ones.

- 4 vocal tracks (each with Mixbox channel strip plugin (EQ + compressor) + Digital reverb)
- 4 additional mic tracks (could be for Drums?) (Mixbox channel strip on each)
- 2 Guitar tracks (each with Amplitube 5 Clean Tube Amp plugin, with spring reverb)
- 1 Bass track (with Amplitube 5 Solid State Bass Amp plugin)
- 2 stereo keyboard tracks (4 tracks, no plugins needed)
(also running Mixbox channel strip + limiter plugins on the master track while recording)

Equipment:

Tascam 16x08 USB recording interface - obtained for $300
- Record simultaneously 8 mic + 8 line inputs, 24 bit, 96 kHz
- Includes 2 "hi z" inputs for electric guitar + bass
- Has onboard digital EQ and compressor on each channel

Acer Swift 3 Intel Evo Thin & Light Laptop - obtained for $430
- 13.5" 2256 x 1504 IPS screen, Intel Core i5-1135G7, 8GB LPDDR4X, 512GB NVMe SSD, Win10

JBL612 PA monitors, Two - obtained for $200 each (clearout sale!)
- 1000 Watt, 12" speakers (can be quiet, or LOUD!)
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

wow, I love the way your mind works... a bit techie, scientist, engineer, musician, sound guy all rolled into one..

Zoltan is introducing me to plug ins a little... I haven't as yet tried any.  I know sound people who do all the effects through plug ins on the computers chained into the PA.... somewhat different than what you are doing in that they still use a mixing board, which would be in place of the interface I guess.. all this sort of makes my head explode as it is more learning but in the end that isn't a bad thing... to continue learning is good for the mind and the body.
will look forward to reading more about this.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

des0free

Quote from: StephenM on October 01, 2022, 06:40:58 AMwow, I love the way your mind works... a bit techie, scientist, engineer, musician, sound guy all rolled into one..

Zoltan is introducing me to plug ins a little... I haven't as yet tried any.  I know sound people who do all the effects through plug ins on the computers chained into the PA.... somewhat different than what you are doing in that they still use a mixing board, which would be in place of the interface I guess.. all this sort of makes my head explode as it is more learning but in the end that isn't a bad thing... to continue learning is good for the mind and the body.
will look forward to reading more about this.

Hey, thanks for your interest. I updated my original post with a sample recording, where I sang and played guitar along with my backing track, while also simultaneously recording a total of 15 tracks with FX plugins applied on most tracks. So this setup can do mixing, EQ + compressor on all tracks, reverb on 4 vocals, 2 simulated guitar amps (with spring reverb), 1 simulated bass amp, and EQ + compressor + limiter on the master track, all done with software plugins running on a $430 laptop! All 15 tracks are recorded unprocessed, so one can do remix/mastering. So it's basically a live performance and studio recording rig wrapped together consisting of just USB interface, laptop, and PA speakers.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

des0free

SongSungBlueLivePA
Time:
Volume:
Update: This recording sounds not too good, but it is almost certainly due to the speakers being in an "untreated" small room, where there are lots of reflections off the walls. The mics used to record are also not too great probably. In my next post below I recorded each PA speaker separately with a mic placed very close (~1 foot away) using a much better mic (AT-4040) and it sounds much better. 

Here is what the recorded song sounds like when played back through the PA speakers and is recorded by a Zoom H2n digital recorder (xy stereo mics mode) placed in the middle of the room. It isn't bad, but I think the recording doesn't sound as good as what my ears hear (and there is some background static noise that I don't think I hear live - maybe its from the recorder itself). I did do a little EQ to this recording to try to make it sound better, but the main issues are probably: (1) there is some loss of quality from using a recorder that has relatively cheap small condenser mics; (2) I have no experience properly adjusting the mix and EQ for PA speakers; (3) the speakers are in a relatively small room, so there are reflections off walls/surfaces that make it sound "boxy"(?). Still not sound too bad considering the chain of events: guitar and mic -> preamps and digitized by USB interface -> mixed in DAW -> converted to analog -> PA amp and speaker -> thru the air and bouncing off walls -> recorder mics -> preamp in recorder and digitized -> EQ + limiter added in DAW -> converted to MP3 -> converted back to analog when file is played -> amplified and played through speaker or headphone -> ear -> brain... :D

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

Doug, you should post this to the latest juke box!  It sounds great.  Perhaps as good as any of your recording I have heard.  I say this hesitantly.  First off I do have a great ear for music and alot of detail and focus BUT I also have a bit, a good bit, of hearing loss at certain frequencies.  So I say all this with caution (not the first sentence however)!

I really love your sense of trial and error techie scientist stuff... on a much smaller level I do similar things, but not nearly as technical... it's fun to read about some of the things done by engineers and producers on albums to bring success.  The problem is most of the ones we hear about are only the famous ones...it was interesting to read about Dark Side of the Moon and how Alan Parsons got those clock sounds..

I have not yet listened to the recording off the Zoom yet...will do soon though...

I love everything about your recording here and the bass especially sounds great.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

des0free

SongSungBlueLivePAclose
Time:
Volume:
Here is what it sounds like if I record the PA speakers playing my recorded song using a good mic (AT-4040 large condenser) placed very close to each PA speaker (~1 foot away).  It sounds great I think!  Much better than in the recording in the post above where I place a cheaper stereo mic in the middle of the room (where it is probably picking up lots of reflections from the walls). This recording "proves" to me that my setup and equipment (see original post) works pretty well. Sound will be strongly affected by the room and speaker placement. Professional concert halls are designed and/or have treatments to minimize sound reflections to optimize this.  In a home room, one could hang anti-sound-reflection panels on the walls. But it may look too ugly in my living room.  And to my own ears the sound in the middle of the room sounds way better than it seems from the recording in the post further above.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

Quote from: des0free on October 01, 2022, 11:16:35 PMUpdate: This recording sounds not too good, but it is almost certainly due to the speakers being in an "untreated" small room, where there are lots of reflections off the walls. The mics used to record are also not too great probably. In my next post below I recorded each PA speaker separately with a mic placed very close (~1 foot away) using a much better mic (AT-4040) and it sounds much better. 

Here is what the recorded song sounds like when played back through the PA speakers and is recorded by a Zoom H2n digital recorder (xy stereo mics mode) placed in the middle of the room. It isn't bad, but I think the recording doesn't sound as good as what my ears hear (and there is some background static noise that I don't think I hear live - maybe its from the recorder itself). I did do a little EQ to this recording to try to make it sound better, but the main issues are probably: (1) there is some loss of quality from using a recorder that has relatively cheap small condenser mics; (2) I have no experience properly adjusting the mix and EQ for PA speakers; (3) the speakers are in a relatively small room, so there are reflections off walls/surfaces that make it sound "boxy"(?). Still not sound too bad considering the chain of events: guitar and mic -> preamps and digitized by USB interface -> mixed in DAW -> converted to analog -> PA amp and speaker -> thru the air and bouncing off walls -> recorder mics -> preamp in recorder and digitized -> EQ + limiter added in DAW -> converted to MP3 -> converted back to analog when file is played -> amplified and played through speaker or headphone -> ear -> brain... :D

while this is not likely a recording you would keep it isn't that bad!  That little H2N does pretty good.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Doug, that one with the AT-4040 sounds really good, and the bass is bigger than the first one I think?  This is pretty darn good... funny thing is when I go to open mics or go hear local bands when I can I like to move around the room until I find the optimum sound for my ears...lol.. and this proves that actually is a thing.  You are right, room acoustics matter in recording and that is not a thing I have worried much about yet.  I generally have an area I record vocals with the condenser mic.  I can tell a big difference when I go somewhere else to record them.  Mostly with my instruments I DI so room acoustics don't matter.  I have been experimenting a bit with my bass recording off a speaker lately however.  Also I do record my acoustic guitar quite a bit with just an open mic

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

des0free

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

This is super interesting. I would not have expected a low-priced laptop to be able to run too many live tracks. (Although, for me $450 is a mid-priced laptop.) Do you have a second set of ears you trust to help with this setup. It seems like that would be really useful. When you record the live band, how many inputs do you expect to have at the same time?

It's also interesting because it is in many ways the opposite of what I am working on right now. I'm trying to record alone (not with a band), into my Micro BR (not a computer), doing as much as possible with pedals (not plugins or patches). But the goal is kind of the same: To have a quick and low-risk setup that works, without a lot of fiddling every time. For you: performing/recording live. For me: Noodling and sketching.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac