Don't want to promote GAS, but if you need a cheap Mahogany Parlour...

Started by AndyR, September 26, 2022, 10:50:46 AM

AndyR

If you're in the UK, just spotted there's a very HOT deal on these right at the moment at GuitarGuitar:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190219339582008--fender-pm-2-parlour-all-mahogany-ov

Superb for recording with a microphone.

===========

I bought one full price a few years ago, never used it that much because I never really bonded with it. Then it got accidentally damaged (which I successfully repaired). Then I acquired a Martin Parlour that is extremely satisfying to play (and cost many more £££ ;D).

In February this year, I was doing this song challenge (FAWM) and I broke a string on the Martin on day one. The Fender got played just to get me through the challenge.

It was BRILLIANT for recording, and I finally bonded (ish). Sadly, it died a violent death while trying to record one of the later songs in the challenge ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D. (This resulted in what I regard as one of the best songs in the set a day or two later. A song called Paramount that I wrote as a kind of "tribute", https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=32185, that's recorded with a Godin 5th Avenue, another good recording guitar).

Anyway, I didn't have a mahogany-topped acoustic anymore... and I'd just learnt how good they were for recording. And I'd discovered online how the Fender PM-2 in mahogany is regarded as an "oh my goodness!!" secret in the parlour-fans world. But you couldn't get them not even for ready money....

And then I spotted one for £450 a few months back (cheaper than I paid originally!). But even at full price they're really cheap for a fully mahogany bodied parlour. So I crossed my fingers and ordered it. It feels better than the first one, but it's not quite as pretty... (getting there though, wood's taking on a nice patina from playing/handling).

I've recorded at least one with the replacement, and now I've just done some work on it ready for some serious recording. I've found the action a but too low for me, it was fine, but I like it higher... so a couple of hardwood shims under the bridge saddle to raise it has done wonders - my style/technique does not like ultra low/fast actions... And now I've just replaced the strings with monel strings... All my acoustics (except the Godin) are on Martin Retro now.

WOWSERS, the Paramount sounds incredible now. The monels really let the guitar itself sound out rather than the brassy strum of bronze strings. It has less bottom end than the Martin Parlour does, but that's better for recording, it's a kind of "tighter" sound. At this very moment, I'm rehearsing some shoebox songs for recording in the next few days.

Anyway, having a rest from the labours, I look on line ... and... find the offer above!!! £349!!!!!!!!

Almost tempted to buy another ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

All solid mahogany, plays great, excellent hard case included.

If you're looking for a guitar that plays "Thick As A Brick", while you stand on one leg, without it costing you ££££... this guitar is it 8)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1