Vote for the Q4 (Oct/Nov/Dec) 2022 "Originals" festival

Started by 64Guitars, September 22, 2022, 10:21:48 AM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from October 1, 2022 to December 31, 2022. Voting starts now and runs for 7 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on Thursday, September 29th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Originals" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Covers" festival. Please vote in both polls.

Remember, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description. In this particular poll, all of the choices are originals-only; no covers.

• SleepFest - Original songs about sleeping, weariness, insomnia, etc.
  • Google Translate Fest - Write an original song with lyrics in your native language, then use Google Translate to translate the lyrics to another language and then sing your lyrics in that chosen language.
  • Stripped Back Fest - Original songs with just one voice and one guitar recorded live.
  • Ballad Fest - Original ballads in the style of... ..and choose an artist.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

I like the stripped back fest idea. I assume it can be voice and any one instrument. Am I correct in that?
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

When i suggested this i was thinking a man and a guitar, but i suppose any instrument could count, i was thinking of the lone singer songwriter up on the stage with nothing to hide behind except his guitar, but then again could just as easily be Billy Joel at his piano or tiny tim behind his ukelele.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

I'm offended you used Tiny Tim as an example and not me...
Ot feels like a LITLR fest?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ted

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on September 22, 2022, 11:57:22 AMI assume it can be voice and any one instrument. Am I correct in that?

One instrument. Specifically: This guy's guitar. Not your own guitar. That's cheating.

craiyon_181253_repulsive_shirtless_man_with_acoustic_guitar.jpg
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Voting closed. The winner is...

Google Translate Fest

Write an original song with lyrics in your native language, then use Google Translate to translate the lyrics to another language and then sing your lyrics in that chosen language.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Question: Is it cheating if you get some help fixing the translation? Or is the objective to just go with Google Translate, whether or not it makes any sense in the chosen language?

To point: If I do a song in Malagasy, can my Malagasy wife help me with tweaks?

Nobody would ever know, but I want to stick to the spirit of the fest.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

cuthbert

Quote from: Ted on October 17, 2022, 11:28:43 AMQuestion: Is it cheating if you get some help fixing the translation? Or is the objective to just go with Google Translate, whether or not it makes any sense in the chosen language?

To point: If I do a song in Malagasy, can my Malagasy wife help me with tweaks?

The main point is to use Google Translate to translate your lyrics into another language. A tweak here and there for understandability in the other language is still within the spirit of the festival.

But if the tweaks turn into basically a total or nearly full rewrite of the lyrics, then that's not really what we'd want.

Including the lyrics (original and Google-translated and tweaked, if done) would be helpful in any case.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase