"Flotsam" w/Lurker

Started by Blooby, September 21, 2022, 01:25:26 PM

Blooby

Flotsam by Lurker and Blooby
Time:
0:00
Volume:

There have been a couple posts in the past with a bassist buddy named Russ. He came over a while back for a jam, and then I stitched together some meandering improvisations into more concise sections and ended up with the bed track. John came over yesterday and put down some vocals, and then I added some frilly bits to give it the Eastern vibe. We can apparently get a bit out there.

Peace.

Blooby

cuthbert

It's out there alright, and right up my street. Love the slow buildup, the guitars, and the Eastern vibe in this, and the vocals are very 60s SF psych to my ear.

Well done, gents!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Pete C

Wow, what a cool song. The intro is very cinematic and made me think of Black Hawk Down for some reason. Develops into a great song ! Especially love the guitar work but the whole production is top class.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

StephenM

I was waiting for the Aliens to take me into space... this is awesome man...
then you weave that cool and crazy intro into a great backdrop for Lurker's grand vocal schemes!  Interesting topic for a song, interesting lyrics.  Super stuff...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Lurker

This was a poem that I wrote while at the beach with family.

Here amid the flotsam
Along the water's edge
I found a fragile remnant
Of a culture long dead

People who had lived
A thousand years away
Leaving only symbols
Like what I found today

What time remembers
Is whispered of in the waves
What has lain forgotten
Revealed by sand washed away
If only the waves could say

And what of this relic
I hold in my hand
Does it have a value
My world could understand

What of their descendants
Are they flotsam too
Adrift without connection
To lives they never knew

Aren't we all just relics
Of long forgotten lines
Descendants of survivors
Floating through time

What time remembers
Is whispered of in the waves
What has lain forgotten
Revealed by sand washed away
If only the waves could say

Farrell Jackson

That is quite an intro. It sounds very hookah induced, lol. The bass player has some fine chops. John's words are deep and his vocals are very good. The blend of the backing vocals is exceptional. Great reverb, over drive, tone and guitar playing, Blooby. Love the lead break! I'm on my second listen so I can take it all in again. Nicely done guys.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ted

You had me from that first guttural droning sound. What the hell is that anyway? A didgeridoo through a flanger? I love the sense of mystery and loss – lost culture, lost knowledge. It's a bit like looking at the stars and feeling insignificant; like that but with human fingerprints.

When I was a teenager, I used to flip through the dictionary looking for words that were new to me. One word that I never forgot (even though I haven't had much use for it in life) is "palimpsest." It's a piece of parchment that has been reused by literally erasing what was on it before – erased by people who did not value whatever was originally on the parchment. If you look carefully, you can see some of what had been erased – but never perfectly. This song brings back the tragic feeling of not knowing what came before; being left with fragmented and degraded artifacts of people who are reaching to us through the the paper, wanting to be remembered. "Palimpsest" was on my list of potential pretentious band names.

This song really creates a mood.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Redler

Right up my street as well. I like the ethereal and peaceful atmosphere...very relaxing piece of music. So well prodeced, too.

Just excellent work by all of you!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Zoltan

Eastern vibe for sure! The dawn of times, or is it the end of times? The cello sounding synth patch sounded quite "realistic" all the way up to the fast notes where it started to show its synthetic roots.

The vocals are great and help to keep the eerie / grandiose mood going. The bassline is interesting. The guitar soloing was positively trippy. The kind of lines that are more open ended. At times the song reminded slightly of The Cult and U2 if done in the late 60's - early 70's.

Ethereal aural journey!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

guitarron

what a great listen
really love how well the music feels fluid. Fits the lyrics perfect. Nicely mixed as well

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand