Bumping

Started by Ron D Bowes, September 20, 2022, 07:30:53 PM

Jean Pierre

I have to say that I like the bump..there are many songs made that were not listened/commented when first published and many people are happy to (re) discover it

For my part when I make a new cover I always do a search to see the ones that have been published in the previous years and it's always interesting..when I find some anteriorities I don't hesitate to talk about them or even put the link of these songs
It is good that SC has this prodigious memory

recent example Ted did a bump of my cover "Cry me a river", that I had published in 2017 that I had published in 2017 and I must say that I had completely forgotten about it...(Elzheimer?) and I found the sound of my acoustic guitar...not bad at all and so I'm going to search in my archives the plug ins used in my Daw to have this sound ;RÉ

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Oldrottenhead

There are no rules on this site regarding bumping old songs, in fact it is part of the make up of the site.

In the sampler section there are many jukeboxes, if you click on the jukebox icon at the top of the home page it automatically opens on the "latest songs" jukebox. If i haven't been to the site for a while that is my fisrt port of call, so i rarely miss new stuff.
my favourite jukebox is the on this day one. i get to remember songs i haven't heard for a while and songs i may have missed, i also will use the random player and here things i've missed etc.

The overlooked gems is also something where you can find songs that have been missed.

the only practice that is frowned upon (but again there is no rule regarding this) is when someone comments on a song of yours, you reply to every comment (unless the comment is looking for a response)a single thank you is usually suffice.

I think bluesberry came up with the expression "diving for pearls" ie, searching through the site for songs you missed or songs you loved and bringing them to the surface for a new lease of life that newer members might have missed.

so with my admin hat on i will just say that bumping is not frowned upon it is actually a part of the make-up and glue that holds this wonderful place together, though i will add the caveat, don't overdo it a few bumps a day is not excessive.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

I agree with Oldrottenhead's comments. But I'll add some of my pet peeves about bumping.

1) Using the word "bump" in a bump, especially when it's the only thing in the message. That says to me "I can't be arsed to write a comment about this song but I want to bring it to everyone's attention in the hope that someone else will do the work for me." If you think a song merits a bump then please take the time to say why. And even if you do offer a comment, the word "bump" is superfluous. The fact that you're replying to an old topic that hasn't had any replies in a long time tells us that it's a bump. There's no need to say so in your message.

2) Bumping one's own topics. This is generally frowned upon. We're here to support each other; not to promote ourselves. There are exceptions, of course. For example, if you're listening to the On This Day jukebox and hear a song you posted here years ago but forgot about, then it's understandable that you might want to bump it, especially if you think it was one of your better songs. But, as I said in point 1 above, please say something about the song to justify the bump. You might want to reminisce about the work you put into the recording or the circumstances under which it was made. Or maybe there's something you hear now in it that you wish you'd done differently and you could talk about that. If it's a collaboration with another member of Songcrafters, an easy way to justify the bump is to comment on that other member's performance rather than your own.

3) Too many bumps. One or two bumps per day is probably okay. Although, even that might be annoying if everyone starts doing it. But realistically, I don't think that's likely to happen. The more likely danger is that someone goes on a mad bumping spree, posting a dozen bumps in one day. That would definitely be a bad thing. So don't just bump everything you listen to. Try to limit yourself to bumping one or two songs per day that especially merit the bump.

As Oldrottenhead said, these aren't rules that are cast in stone. They're just my pet peeves about bumping. Think of them as guidelines to bumping.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

"The more likely danger is that someone goes on a mad bumping spree, posting a dozen bumps in one day."

That's me after a few malts. 😂
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

kenny mac

My take on this is ,even discussing bumps starts a bad vibe on here so it's better just to ignore the self bumpers and let it fade away back into the shadow of wence it came.
I'm also not wearing any underwear,but I'm in a separate room from blooby,mainly because it's dark and I definitely wouldn't want to risk a bump :D

Blooby

Bishmanrock

I don't think I'm guilty of doing any improper bumping*, but the way I tend to use the site is by going into my Unread Posts and trawling through those. It's possible if I'm caught up I might start getting posts from weeks/months prior, but seeing as it's genuine new content to me, I'd argue any responses to that content are valid as it's not just bumping for bumping's sake.

Agree that bumping yourself is pretty much seen as incredibly bad form on any message board; unless you have a really decent update to warrant it.

*"improper bumping" may have to be a term I add to my lexicon

recorder
Cubase

SteveB

As I am now applying myself to enjoy the sunlit uplands of retirement - from working for the Man that is, not from life -
I am easing my way back into the more enjoyable elements of existence, which of course includes music; and I come across this,
the most perfect description of Songcrafters imaginable. Well done Ted.

Quote from: Ted on September 23, 2022, 06:13:05 AM...If this were a monetized community – and thank goodness it isn't – I'm sure that the forum software would have been scrapped a long time ago, and the whole site would be optimized towards conversions – ad clicks, purchases, affiliate marketing, promoted posts, and all the horrors of the commercialized Web. Note the absence of all of that shit, as you are frustrated by bumping, and with boring people such as myself who want to make you love features that you don't want to use.

But along with our non-commercial, non-monetized bent comes our keen sense of when people are coming here merely for commercial reasons. This is no place to monetize your music, or to boost your SEO. I'm a web marketing guy. I promise you this site is a dead end for people who come here merely to pimp their YouTube channel, their music blog, their Soundcloud profile, their Apple Music page, their Spotify, their podcast, etc. I say merely because none of that disqualifies someone from participating. But the clunky factor, the learning curve is, in a way, a small hurdle that someone needs to get over; it shows that they really are here for the community first and foremost... 

recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Zoltan

Lack of sleep and running on empty. Revisiting this thread made me to think of a song called "Burping for Peace". I almost went and did it. Almost.

I guess the takeaway here is that Songcrafters can be weird...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

bruno

Hmm. We've had this discussion a few times in the past. Generally commenting is a good thing to give feedback. I think the only issue is a self bump.

I take the view that everyone dips in and out using whatever selection criteria, and if I listen, I do like to comment. It is an impossible task to listen to or read every single post. I do take the point that its frustrating to feel that your creation is not getting the listens and slowly moving down the order. However, its a relatively small community (its not like youtube) and we've all have tracks that we are proud of, getting very few comments before disappearing onto the dreaded page 2. I don't think there are any simple answers, other than comment lots and be visible on the site and I'm sure those comments on your tracks will come.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600