Bumping

Started by Ron D Bowes, September 20, 2022, 07:30:53 PM

Ron D Bowes

Hell of a lot of bumping going on pushing lower hit songs lower. Considering I was told this was frowned upon - seeing my tracks pushed down by this practice I am far from impressed!

Ted

If you are referring to me, then Yes, I've been pretty bumpy the last couple of days. It's not my aim impress you (or anyone). But I can tone it down. I do see what you mean about pushing new songs down.

I've been in this community for going-on 14 years, and I realized that I've missed out on a lot of good music when I was AWOL a few times for multiple months. So I'm making an effort to visit those AWOL periods and sample the music – and "Blackout Bump." I'm trying to be a better member of this community by making up for my past neglect – visiting Overlooked Gems, and Random Dozen jukeboxes. But overdoing it can have a negative effect for newer songs. I'll try and limit it to once or twice a day, while also giving new attention to new songs.

If you weren't referring to me, well, now you know my rationale anyway. And, Yeah, Other Person Who Isn't Me, let up on all that bumping!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

I'm just a troll and hardly read what was being said above :D BUT i do like the (sometimes even too) warm Songcrafters community spirit, and the way people are bumping up songs that are long forgotten. Sometimes even songs from people who have since gone up to the higher orchestra.

So keep bumping away. There are diamonds in the dust that i've never heard and i'm sure the new ones also pop up at appropriate times. In fact i intentionally search for the new ones from time to time.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ron D Bowes

Quote from: Zoltan on September 21, 2022, 04:01:37 AMI'm just a troll and hardly read what was being said above :D BUT i do like the (sometimes even too) warm Songcrafters community spirit, and the way people are bumping up songs that are long forgotten. Sometimes even songs from people who have since gone up to the higher orchestra.

So keep bumping away. There are diamonds in the dust that i've never heard and i'm sure the new ones also pop up at appropriate times. In fact i intentionally search for the new ones from time to time.

I am one of those grumps that sticks to the spirit of the rules/traditions and then suffers (usually in silence) while everyone else does what they want. If everyone bumps fine. I'll bump with the best of them. But when it's just 5 or 6 - they benefit while newer songs get ignored. Lets face it. An older song with double figure comments has had it's day in the sun. If multiple bumps occur at the same time some other poor soul has their song disappear into the ether.

Ron D Bowes

Quote from: Ted on September 21, 2022, 01:17:06 AMIf you are referring to me, then Yes, I've been pretty bumpy the last couple of days. It's not my aim impress you (or anyone). But I can tone it down. I do see what you mean about pushing new songs down.

I've been in this community for going-on 14 years, and I realized that I've missed out on a lot of good music when I was AWOL a few times for multiple months. So I'm making an effort to visit those AWOL periods and sample the music – and "Blackout Bump." I'm trying to be a better member of this community by making up for my past neglect – visiting Overlooked Gems, and Random Dozen jukeboxes. But overdoing it can have a negative effect for newer songs. I'll try and limit it to once or twice a day, while also giving new attention to new songs.

If you weren't referring to me, well, now you know my rationale anyway. And, Yeah, Other Person Who Isn't Me, let up on all that bumping!
It was numerous. I wasn't singling out one person.

StephenM

I have read most of the rules on the site and there isn't anything I could find maybe except an unwritten rule that one should not bump them self... The good thing about the way the admins have set the thing up is that the latest juke box the songs stay up for a period of several weeks (it seems) and the list gets longer instead of bumping someone out.  So no one's song is coming off the latest juke box.  If there are written guidelines I haven't read, I would be interested in seeing them. 
I use bumps sometimes, a quite often sometimes.  I dig back through old songs and do that.  If you look at some of the songs on here there are multiple pages of bumps so the precedent is there that it's ok. 
I used to follow songs down the thread pages.  I don't do that much anymore now. 
btw, I download many of the songs as they come up and have several usb drives that I listen to as i drive around in the cars etc... or work out... as the mood hits..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ron D Bowes

I did say "frowned upon"
Quote from: StephenM on September 21, 2022, 07:16:34 AMI have read most of the rules on the site and there isn't anything I could find maybe except an unwritten rule that one should not bump them self... The good thing about the way the admins have set the thing up is that the latest juke box the songs stay up for a period of several weeks (it seems) and the list gets longer instead of bumping someone out.  So no one's song is coming off the latest juke box.  If there are written guidelines I haven't read, I would be interested in seeing them. 
I use bumps sometimes, a quite often sometimes.  I dig back through old songs and do that.  If you look at some of the songs on here there are multiple pages of bumps so the precedent is there that it's ok. 
I used to follow songs down the thread pages.  I don't do that much anymore now. 
btw, I download many of the songs as they come up and have several usb drives that I listen to as i drive around in the cars etc... or work out... as the mood hits..

. It's one of those etiquette things. I can give you an example - a new member joined this site just after me and asked how he could find older tracks by people that had commented on his song so that he could return the favour. He was immediately told that it could be construed as bumping and that is bad form. He has not been seen since. I read the "How to get more comments on your song" put up by an admin and I am pretty sure bumping was mentioned and not in a good light. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it was.

Found the post : https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=32661.0

Now I realise this is self bumping being mentioned, but it should be no bumping or every one can bump. Otherwise only some people will be hampered. In other words - you put up a song and the next day 6 people bump their friends (or others) tracks . Your song drops down the drain, but YOU can not bump yourself back into the running.

Blooby

I would just like to take this opportunity to say that I'm not wearing any underwear.

Blooby

Zoltan

Quote from: Blooby on September 21, 2022, 08:26:35 AMI would just like to take this opportunity to say that I'm not wearing any underwear.

And i would like to clarify that i don't want to bump into Bloody!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Zoltan

Almost forgot. There's also the latest songs player:
https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?action=festival;sa=LatestSongs

If people remember to use that then the new songs aren't going to be lost... A perfect entertainment for a car ride, or an invitation for a car crash :D

Edit: I was a bit slooow...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper