Oh Bondage Up Yours - ODH does X-Ray Spex for ‘77 fest

Started by ODH, September 15, 2022, 02:01:03 AM

ODH

OBUY
Time:
0:00
Volume:
1977Fest (banner image missing)

Squier Jaguar bass, Tokai Tele, sax off of ThumbJam, DM-1 drums. And me channelling Poly Styrene.

I know what you're going to say; I thought the same thing but nevertheless.

I couldn't find a way to do the monologue at the start that didn't sound massively creepy, so I skipped it.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Ted

I should know the original, but I didn't. I remember buying singles from Dangerhouse and other punk labels. Somehow I overlooked that rich vein of 1977 material. Good on you for remembering.

Also: Good decision leaving out the spoken part at the beginning.

I love how you made the sax slightly flat, just like the original. Attention to detail.

A fun cover. And you've given me ideas...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

very punk, very well done...very fun... love that sax thing but didn't know that is what it was until reading...yes.. I can hear that...
incredible energy rocking my head off but that sax actually kind of takes the edge off the music and almost makes it ok to play at the old folks bingo night ...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

OOH DEE HOO does it again! The energy, the grit, the clothing... Optional. This rocks and grooves. The vocals are great, but what surprised me the most is the cheesy sax. Who wouldn't love a cheesy sax?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Love the guitar tones... pure nasty filth. Perfect. And it's true that sax takes this track to the next level in many ways... it's weird but very cool.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Rene Asologuitar

Hi ODH,
This recording sounds like really fun, and I can envision you having a blast with this song.
I agree, the sax makes this song above cool!!!
I am enjoying this song.
Rene

Pete C

Great cover Nick and the Thumbjam sax really recreates the vibe of the original. I lost my ipad a couple of years ago and the only Apple product I have now is my 12 year old ipod touch so I'm missing having Garageband and Thumbjam isn't an option on android. I was looking for a convincing sax imitation during the Roxy Fest and bought a wooden kazoo as I reckoned it would sound a bit more organic and with the help of a few effects might get me in the ballpark. All the android sax imitations still sound too "keyboardy".I used it on Both Ends Burning then played it for my son who said "Dad, it still sounds like a kazoo" so it ended up being buried deep down in the mix. I really need to get myself another ipad !
Great to hear your cover.. it's a 1977 classic and I still remember the shock factor of first hearing the original. You've done a brilliant job here !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800