Bring on the Hammer

Started by Zoltan, September 05, 2022, 01:16:59 PM

Mike_S

That's some main riff... you could demolish an average 2 story house with that. Yeah, really heavy stuff, I get the Cream comparison. This is one that would be interesting live, especially with plenty of beer! :)

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Trist

Excellent rock rhythm , has that cream 60's sound which just kicks arse. infectious melody line, yeah the drums are great too

StephenM

Quote from: Ray Brookes on September 06, 2022, 07:20:18 PMCool guitar work and love the sound you got there. The song reminds me of early Cream. Great riffing giving that lovely electric blues feel. I agree with SE that the vocal could come up in the mix a bit. Otherwise, great track, dude.

now I am hearing what Ray did... I could not nail it the first times...but yes it's The Cream rising up above the Cream... it's like Eric Clapton on Steroids with that pedal(s)...  but the other thing made me want to comment this time is the beat... the cymbals are way out at the far sides of the 180 degree sound field and go back and forth.  I am supposed to be cleaning the house  :-\  but I got sucked into this vortex...now I am having to get a vacuum breaker to try and get out of the suction...(not meaning the song/music sucks but if it were a vacuum cleaner it would be the highest possible suction, surpassing the Dyson Vortex)....
The vocals do kick ass... and it sounds like two different people singing from the start to the end..

btw I think you upped the ante (uncle Z)

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

Thanks for all the comments! You're all too kind. And i mean really. Lying is a sin :D

Now i can bump this without probs as this was already at the top. So a few comments. I was initially going to throw this away, then thought i'd post it on the collabs and then did the demo vocals.

This is just some improvised stuff and the reason the vocals are what they are is:
That's the one and only pass i did. I didn't think of any lyrics beforehand... I just shouted things that came to mind. I do know where the "Jack" thing came. I was thinking of The Shining (1980) and that "All work and no play" scene. The vocal melody is just "think of blues and sing something".

As for the recording. I was recording one of those guitar tracks and recorded the vocals simultaneously from 1,5 meters away from the mic. Crouching towards the mic and barely hearing anything in the cans (except the guitar).

The real star(s) here are the fuzz boxes. The Fuzzolo is the one that has more sustain. The Swarm is the sound that's more velcro + also harmonized. I'm not actually sure anymore if the wrong notes i played were in fact the harmonizer doing it's thing. I didn't really learn how to use it. I just wanted to record something. That pedal can be a beast to tame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_kp2-yxQE

Or so i'm told. Seeing the above video felt like a) they're faking it, b) perhaps they're too normal to play such a pedal. As in "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro".

Thanks for reading.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

"As for the recording. I was recording one of those guitar tracks and recorded the vocals simultaneously from 1,5 meters away from the mic. Crouching towards the mic and barely hearing anything in the cans (except the guitar)." 

Interesting idea... now I am wanting to know more... like so you have the guitar sound coming out of the speakers?  Or you were wearing headphones?  Which depending on answer another question.  If sound of guitar coming out of speaker where is vocal mic at in relation?  sorry for the questions but I am always looking for a new trick...

whooops...cans are headphones right?  sorry.... I don't know all the lingo... but yeah.....that answers the question. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

I think that mic placement gives it a live feel?  What do you think?  for the vocals.... cool.  sometimes it reminds me of Pat Travers voice a little.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Zoltan

Yes, i meant headphones. I'm usually closer to the microphone and set the level up so i can hear something. This time i only armed the tracks for recording and went to town. So to speak.
I'm not sure if there's a trick to be learned, but probably not this way.
My vocal sound seems to change everytime i record something. At least to my ears. But i always seem to do things in a different way. I don't think that's the best way of doing things... It just happens.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Rene Asologuitar

Quote from: Zoltan on September 05, 2022, 01:16:59 PMWhat happens when one has a headache, Fuzzolo and Beetronics Swarm? Lots of bad playing 😁 But i do like the drums.
If someone wants to sing this i can do it properly. Or play new kinds of mistakes.
Hi Zoltan,
Super groovy guitar playing, and lovely melody and vocals.
The mix between guitar and vocals is perfect, I love it.
The guitar solo all over this song is phenomenal!!!
Love this recording.
Rene

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

For a demo it sounds brilliant. The music is excellent man..love the groove and the melody. That fuzz guitar sounds brilliant..so wicked solos. It has that cool 60's psychedelic vibe to it. I think your vocals sound fine too.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ted

This you?

Love the energy here – even better knowing it's somewhat spontaneous. I don't do music like this. Somebody has to.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac