""The Long Run" -Original.

Started by Johnbee, September 05, 2022, 07:20:12 AM

Johnbee

The Long Run
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Inspired by Spanish philosopher, George Santayana (1863-1952)-"Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors are destined to repeat them"

The intro is a bit long as I was considering making it all instrumental, but the lyrics came to me based on the quote above and I just had to make a melody to match it.  Ask yourself "is this where we are today in this world?"

Hope you enjoy!
 :) John B
There's something wrong here
We have lost count of the errs we have made
Nobody noticed the lies to make it right.
Nothing's worth the fight
We have not learned from
all those mistakes we've made so long ago

There's not much new here
Fruitless days abound
There's not much to be gained
when so much is lost in conflict everywhere
Surely there is someone who cares
We're not beyond such acceptance of change
We may regret this in the long run.

c 2022 John Bowen

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Farrell Jackson

Excellent composing, piano and fantastic orchestration John! I was keying in on the melodic bass and thinking it was doing a subtle solo throughout the song...nice. Wise words and super vocal and melody!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ted

Is that you on bass too? That's the pizza sauce on this song that makes all the toppings more interesting by association.

I also like the Bacharachesque string jabs about 3:43. Good stuff.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

TPB

My oh my this so good the intro section before the vocals is smoky and just draws you in
One for the player
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Ray Brookes

Great stuff, John. Those bass lines are are pure ear candy along with the beautiful chord changes. Perfectly produced and arranged with cool lyrics.
Ray Brookes

StephenM

I love that vocal thing at 3:45 ish... and otherwise another really listenable and interesting song John...
cool bass, piano, drums etc... and your vocals I always like very much... another really good song.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

I read your comments on the other topic about someone ripping you off. In all honesty. I pity the fool who tries to steal and pass your songs as their own. You're one of the more original songwriters and performers that it would be a real fools errand.

The same applies here. The way you're building the melodies. Taking the listener for a ride. Putting so much into small details and melodic elements. Pure ear candy. The arrangement is efficient. The way you're bringing the vocals into the song. Clever stuff, but never too heady to be enjoyed by mere mortals like me.

Bravo!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

BerryPatch

Beautiful intro and outro John, it's nice to hear you stretch out these kinds of passages to let your compositional skills shine. The vocals in the middle are great addition as well. So much craft and class here...

SE

Proggy cool Steely Dan vibe, with excellent  production,the bass is a stand out, maybe the end came too early was left wanting more.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Johnbee

Hi, Ferrell, Ted, TPB, Ray, Steve, Zoltan, BerryPatch & SE-
Thanks all for listening and your kind words!  :) 

Ted, that is me playing bass, but I don't use a bass guitar.  I use Trilian Bass Module.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!