Can you dig it?

Started by Zoltan, August 15, 2022, 01:03:05 PM

Zoltan

Can You Dig It
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I got a Fat Fuzz Factory and this come out of it! Improvised lyrics and playing :D Just wanted to get the first tones recorded.

CAN YOU DIG IT?

Can you feel it?
Can you touch it?
Can feel the love in the air tonight?
x2

I saw you walking
I saw you looking
I saw the way that you winked at me
I saw the dreams
I saw the castle
I saw everything i could ever dream

Does it move you
Can you dig it?
Can you become the queen of my insane dream?

Are you dream, or are you a nightmare
Are you the one to pass me by
Are you a dream, or are you my nightmare
Are you the one who passed me by

Are you a dream, or are you a nightmare
Are you the one who passed me by
Are you a dream, or are you a nightmare
Or are you the one?

Can you feel it?
Can you touch it?
Can you feel the love in the air tonight?

(And then it repeats from earlier with slight changes).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Pete C

Wow, that pedal makes some cool guitar tones ! Good song too ! Like the drums !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Ray Brookes

Cool rocking track that rolls along nicely. Love that guitar tone and a great groove on the rhythm section.
Ray Brookes

Trist

funky little number, can you dig it ( Yes we can ) . fun track enjoyed

ODH

Short answer; yes I can. 

Nice vibe, my head was bobbing along throughout.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

StephenM

Yes...i dig it
Its foot tappinglichious!  Its catchy like an std (silly joke)... this would be a great song to dance to as well...
Rockin

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Fatt fuzz seems pretty phat to me.... i love the beat, the bass, the tones...but your vocals are awesome...no shit... very David Byrne great to me.... freedom shewing through Z... lyrics are cool too

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

WarpCanada

Fun song and great guitar tones. What key is it in? I was trying to figure out the chords in my head but I wasn't sure if it was in B major or something else.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Zoltan

Quote from: WarpCanada on August 17, 2022, 07:38:28 PMWhat key is it in?

I think it was:
F# (9th fret)and B

Played to ad infinitum and when bored then the next part

C# (4th fret) and F# (2th fret)

There's nothing else happening :) The first chord of the recording was a false start so i kept it.

The whole recording process went like this:

- Program a beat
- Record the first thing that comes out (without thinking about chords, or anything) and try to keep it going until boredom strikes. This is the right side guitar.
- Change the settings on the fuzz. record a slightly more busy guitar part while trying to build a motif. I started to get bored so instead of just playing "lead" -type of bits i started to chase the beat and pull it back at "strategic times" to make it more interesting. Now it sounds more like bad playing :) This is the left side guitar.
- Record the bassline. By now i knew where i should put the fingers, but i still didn't want to bog down on the specifics so i recorded the bass thru the guitar chain. the only thing that i turned of was the fuzz so there's a reverb printed on the bass track.

At this point i had these three played tracks + drum track. I thought of throwing it in the bin, until i heard that my son was going for a jog. So i took the microphone and went for an improvised take without any idea what to sing :D The first thing that i recorded is the "first verse" and i stopped because the recording level was wrong. At this point my brain tried to took over and offer some guidance that perhaps i should THINK about what to song, or even write something down. But i managed to suppress that notion and hit record again and the second take was almost until the end of the track (i stopped around two minutes mark). I don't know who, or what i was channeling here as it just came from the thin air. Two vocals takes and no rehearsing. Nothing edited away, or fixed.

I still thought of throwing the track away because i didn't have any idea, or theme for the track. I sent it to Stephen for him to suffer :) Then the next  day i revisited the track, invented the name (From one of the improvised lines) and copy & pasted some vocal lines to make it a the song. I was still thinking of ways the get away from the track. Perhaps i could send it to Hilary? Nah, she might feel pressured :) Perhaps Stephen could add some strategically places la-las? Nah, the world needs him. He's on a mission to rock.

There was very little to do with mixing as everything was recorded to the track. The bassline had boominess because of the reverb so instead of doing much i just left it be. The vocals are dry and without effects most of the time (only those parts where i tried to make it sound more song like and in the end it goes overboard :)).

There was still this short section that felt like a place for a solo. I didn't feel like playing so i recorded some noise (i ran the headphones out into a distortion pedal and recorded that) and tried to turn that into a solo. It didn't sound that good. I ended up adding delay into a drum fill and that just about kept that part going. For the end of the song i still felt it was missing something so i tried the pedal idea again and this time recorded the vocals thru the pedal. This sounded better and i mixed it way low to add some "character".

And that's about that.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

Zolt...
After reading your process Im diving in for more...
What I like the most is you are learning to let it all hang out...
The question is always...Does it rock me? 
The answer is yes

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24