Your Favourite Album Covers...

Started by Greeny, June 18, 2009, 05:12:20 AM

Satchwood

I just loved carrying this Aerosmith album around when I was a kid.  Not much artwork, but I felt so cool owning it:

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Satchwood

Hey this is fun.....memory lane cruising....GnR....Crue....

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Ferryman

Quote from: Greeny on June 18, 2009, 05:14:17 AMAnd an interesting question... do we love the cover more because we love the music within?
Yes, I'm afraid I think Gentleman Take Polaroids is a pretty weak album cover - look at that tacky lightning bolt! But it's a gem inside. My wife has a theory that what we view as "great music" tends to coincide with important phases of our lives (which are generally when we are younger). I think the same's true of album covers - the "great" ones will more likely be what we think are "great" albums.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Sprocket

Quote from: Satchwood on June 19, 2009, 10:18:27 AMOne of my favorite Yes album covers:

Isnt that a Phil Hartman cover???(you know, the SNL comedian...)

This is one of my favs:

[edit]seems I cant find anything to confirm the Phil Hartman thing...

Ted

This isn't one of my favorites, but it's intriguing because it so amateurish.  I mean, this was released by Mercury Records, Universal Records, and Polydor Records.  But it looks like a cheap DIY cover that you'd buy from someone playing at a coffee house.  Was it intentional?

Was it...

(a) "Hey, how about we only spend about $25 on the cover art? More money for us!"

(b) "Hey, let's go for the cheap DIY look.  That'll be edgy."

(c) "Hey, the CEO of Mercury let his 12-year-old daughter do the art.  Nobody say anything."

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SharksDontSleep

Hmmm ... The ones which come to mind are the iconic & the quirky:

and

Kody

I was thinking about posting Nevermind....

Appetite for Destruction....Good call, Satchwood!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

SharksDontSleep

Other that come to mind are:

Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division

Three Imaginary Boys by The Cure

Satchwood

Quote from: Kody on June 19, 2009, 01:24:23 PMAppetite for Destruction....Good call, Satchwood!

Definitely my favorite GnR album - I learned to play every dang tune on the album and even sang to some of the stuff!

Oldrottenhead

good call gingerjack , unknown pleasure was a great album with a distinctive cover.

someone said earlier you have an age and era you associate with, in early 70s it was prog , late 70s punk and krautrock, 80s post punk etc etc but think late 70s early 90s was best period so here is another selection.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann