Real Choice

Started by WarpCanada, August 06, 2022, 04:05:20 PM

Farrell Jackson

I hear a lot of angst in your vocal and the distortion helps promote that. I too, hear some Leonard Cohen style in this, which is all good to me! Overall this is well done and I think it got across what you wanted.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Blooby

I love the lyrics (I kept a dictionary handy). I really like the vocal delivery of this tune. You are conveying the lyrics, which is the point, no? Very cool post.

Blooby

Trist

Copacetic prevarication - some inventive wording here, love the lyrics really great.
i really liked this track,  emotive vocals really sell the song, good groove and music carry it well giving it that edge for the lyrics like alt rock . enjoyed

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Great song, with a cool vibe. I don't know why but it reminded me somewhat of radiohead, it's got a great beat , love the bass and the jangly guitar. top vocals and lyrics.
Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Rene Asologuitar

Quote from: WarpCanada on August 06, 2022, 04:05:20 PM*****************
Hi WC,
Very high words in this lyrically excellent song.
I like the way the vocals is in your face, just the way I like it.
Very needed exhortation of today's issues.
Thanks for this.
Rene

kenny mac

This is a cool song,very atmospheric guitar work.
The vocal effects is inspiring.
Well done.

Ted

Quote from: WarpCanada on August 06, 2022, 04:05:20 PMCenturies of thoughts that are all dying away in stages
In the detritus of my hobbies.

"In the detritus of my hobbies..." Don't go around stealing my favorite words. I mean, I wasn't using it, but at least ask permission.

The vocal delivery is very much like one of my favorites: David Lowrey (singer, songwriter for Cracker).

What a contrast to your Windham Hillbilly piano piece that sent me to your jukebox today.

Excellent stuff.

Side Note 1: When I was in college, I interviewed a potential roommate who was okay, but he made me dread having to hear him say the word "copacetic" every other sentence, as he did during the interview. I think of him every time I hear the word, even though he was only in my life for about 20 minutes.

Side Note 2: Local H is one of my favorite bands, in spite of their one hit, "Copacetic."
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

Quote from: WarpCanada on August 08, 2022, 02:08:04 PMThere's a little guitar flourish in there that I couldn't play again if I wanted to, it was just like, whoa, that sounded cool, did I play that.    

I have been having a lot of trouble with vocals, either I get them on the first take, or I can do 30 takes and not get one I feel I can live with.   There is some kind of perishability that happens, it feels like the song either gels, or melts.  Anyone else feel that sometimes?

And yes it does feel cathartic, or a way of letting go of all this negativity.   Put it in the song and LEAVE it there.  Then I can go back to being "much happier human".

Those special moments that you talk about Warren because you practice and you play.  The more you play and then become the "lead guitarist" in that song, those moments occur because you have put the work in to get there.  Sometimes we feel as though we are getting no where with our playing.  It can be frustrating!  All those chords and all those scales and all those noodlings we practice do pay off. 

I also understand your point on the vocals.  Many times my first takes are the best.  I have learned to keep my takes and load them to the DAW because sometimes I can use snippets from them as backing vocals or enhancements.  This recording stuff takes practice, knowledge, and time to learn. 
I tell you what though, to my ears this is not only a really great song but also a good recording.  Also I have been experimenting with saturation on vocals because of your comments in the past. 

It's good to have an outlet.. and sometimes that is exactly what we need this for...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

des0free

Great song - I like everything about this: composition/lyrics, mood, vocal delivery and fx, but also the rest of the instrumentation, and mixing/mastering.  But most of all, this sounds really unique!  If it came on the radio, I would drop what I was doing and say "what is that? who is that?  wow"
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR