My Friend the Sun

Started by 64Guitars, July 14, 2022, 01:02:31 PM

64Guitars

1972Fest (banner image missing)

Late submission for 1972 Fest. I've been working on this for a few weeks. It's been a hard one to do. I ended up re-doing the guitar parts several times. And there was lots of editing in Audacity and Bitwig to try to fix minor mistakes and timing issues with my playing. But I think it's sounding okay now. There's still lots of minor things I would have liked to fix but I got tired of working on it so I decided to post it as it is.

"My Friend the Sun" is a song by the British rock band Family. It was written by Charlie Whitney and Roger Chapman for the band's 1972 album Bandstand. John Wetton played bass and sang backing vocals on the track. The single did not make the UK Singles Chart, though I believe it has become a fan favourite.

All of the guitar tracks were done with my Godin xtSA solidbody electric using its piezo pickup and the BR-864's "NICE ACS" patch which includes the Acoustic Processor effect. Bass is my 1962 Gibson EB0. The accordion chords were played on my Yamaha PSR-2100 arranger keyboard. The accordion solo is actually a viola sample recorded in Bitwig Studio 8-Track with my Nektar SE-25 keyboard controller. The kick drum is also a sample recorded in Bitwig with my Korg nanoPAD2 pad controller. Mixing was done in Audacity.

Thanks to Oldrottenhead for doing the vocals.

My Friend the Sun
Performed by 64Guitars and Oldrottenhead
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Originally recorded by Family on their 1972 album "Bandstand"
Written by Charlie Whitney and Roger Chapman
Well I know that you're lonely
come in from the cold
Your shoes they need mending
your clothes they look old
Won't you pick up your pieces
it's never too late
Though it's never early to make a mistake
As soon as you wake

Although there's been rain and it's coming again
  Change has to be here, obviously
  Though my friend the sun looks well on the run
  He's there in the distance if you care to see

Well I know that you're waiting
come out from your shell
There'll come a time
you'll remember it well
When they take all the good times
from chances you've had
Chances you've made
and what you've learned from the bad
It's never so sad

Though my friend the sun, he looks well on the run
  see

----- instrumental break -----

If the season were reason
then there'd be no doubt
A sequel of changes
worth putting you out
But on the question of whether
you heard a lie
Answer yourself looking straight in his eyes
Don't you realize

Though my friend the sun looks well on the run
  see

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Mike_S

This sounds great. I am not sure if I know the original, it sounds familiar but I'm not sure. In any case it's a great tune, I enjoyed it very much. Super guitar parts, some great tones, lovely arrangement and ORH was a perfect choice for the vocal. Lovely stuff.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Has a super clear Beatleish feel

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

cuthbert

Totally worth the wait.  8)

Not a song I'd heard before, but I sure dig your version. Some neat, intricate guitar work (has a bit of that "mandolin-style" I like so well), and James' vocal is very expressive.

Fabtastic collab, gents!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Zoltan

It was certainly worth the trouble. The playing performances,the vocals and production are all top notch.
I wasn't familiar with the song, but this version at least is a keeper.

I also liked the detailed breakdown how everything was done.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

I love the subtle dissonance at the beginning of the chorus. I was unfamiliar with this song. I went and found the original, and they have folky fiddles where you have accordion. I'm a sucker for accordion, so yours is the version for me. Wetton sounds like he's trying to imitate ORH, not the other way around.

You could probably teach me a thing about how to record with a piezo pickup. The guitars sound gorgeous. I'm struggling to get a good sound from my acoustic guitar via the pickup. (Or maybe it's a "garbage in, garbage out" scenario in my case.)

Also: The quality of this song is helping me imagine life after Mac – and feeling less anxious about it. My 2017 MacBook Pro is still hanging in there, but it's just a matter of time. Already shopping.

piPod bound.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Rene Asologuitar

I do not know the the song, and really glad to hear this song for the first time from you.
Very nice singing and instrumentation.
I agree, with Stephen, has the Beatles vibe.
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

maxit

It resulted in one of the coolest soundscapes ever! super cool, bravi, it sounds like a new sergent pepper LoL!
recorder
Audacity

des0free

High quality all around here. Not familiar with the song, but I'm a fan now!  Very nice acoustic guitar sound out of those electric/piezos - doesn't sound artificial at all.  Top vocals too. More proof 1972 was a magic year.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

Thanks 64 for letting me join in and also introducing me to a great song. Bravo for taking this on as it is a deceptively complicated piece, but wow you did it. This was a pleasure to try to learn but it was the most difficult song I've ever tried to sing. But it sounds so simple.
Anyway great work 64 and thanks for making me sound better than was. Lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann