Started by StephenM, June 23, 2022, 05:18:56 AM

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ted

It's great to have a local open-mic scene. But getting up and performing original songs – and having it appreciated is another level. I've made peace with the notion that most people don't want to hear my original songs, but when you get feedback on our originals – lyrics even – it's really rewarding.

A long time ago I played at a place in Denver called Paris on the Platte. Afterwards, a guy came up to me and said, "I like your stuff. Stay pissed off, man." I never forgot that.

Here in Madagascar, karaoke is king. The wonderful thing about Malagasy people is that they don't have that American hang up that they shouldn't sing if unless they can sing well. They sing for the joy of it, and they don't seem to care whether the people listening think they are any good. The flipside to that phenomenon is that most people really don't sing very good. And I (as an American) have to train myself not to judge them on the quality of their performance, but instead appreciate the fun they are having. Another flipside/downside is that there is a strong emphasis on familiar songs. It's difficult to say whether people just sing what they want to sing (which happen to be standards – in French, Malagasy, or English), or if there is social pressure not to song obscure songs.

Anyway... I know of no local scene for an open-mic featuring original songs in English. So I'm a little jealous.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

Quote from: Ted on August 30, 2022, 10:06:51 AMIt's great to have a local open-mic scene. But getting up and performing original songs – and having it appreciated is another level. I've made peace with the notion that most people don't want to hear my original songs, but when you get feedback on our originals – lyrics even – it's really rewarding.

A long time ago I played at a place in Denver called Paris on the Platte. Afterwards, a guy came up to me and said, "I like your stuff. Stay pissed off, man." I never forgot that.

Here in Madagascar, karaoke is king. The wonderful thing about Malagasy people is that they don't have that American hang up that they shouldn't sing if unless they can sing well. They sing for the joy of it, and they don't seem to care whether the people listening think they are any good. The flipside to that phenomenon is that most people really don't sing very good. And I (as an American) have to train myself not to judge them on the quality of their performance, but instead appreciate the fun they are having. Another flipside/downside is that there is a strong emphasis on familiar songs. It's difficult to say whether people just sing what they want to sing (which happen to be standards – in French, Malagasy, or English), or if there is social pressure not to song obscure songs.

Anyway... I know of no local scene for an open-mic featuring original songs in English. So I'm a little jealous.

you always have interesting things to say Ted...  I thought the whole idea of open mic was for performers to do what they want to... but I totally hear you... now that I have done a bunch of them I see my trend toward trying to get people more into the music... to keep them engaged as well as possible...
I like that whole thing where you sing because you love too... but there is nothing like hearing someone do songs really well... and that is priceless... but seeing folks really have fun is great too..
I think it can be both!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

I have been playing only ever standing up... and I see the advantages of this...BUT:::   I notice that when I sit down with acoustic in hand (at home in the studio) and ear toward the guitar it totally makes me a DIFFERENT (and in many ways better) player and singer... I sing so much off what I hear coming out of that acoustic hole...also I can get to the neck playing wise better.  I want to explore this live... the problem is generally open mic is... plug your guitar in and stand there and sing and go...
I want to try with a mic on the guitar and one for the vocals...not plugged in... lately I have been attending an open mic once a week at the same place (Cedar Stump Pub, but there are 2, Tuesday nights in Statesville and Wednesday in Troutman, about 10 miles apart, same owner, very nice guy too and passionate about music).  Tonya, the host.... I will talk with her about this and see... it shouldn't be a big bother cause there is another mic up always...two...mics up... so it's a small rearrange...

also I realize this topic isn't really songwriting, but it is and here is why... playing these open mics is CHANGING THE WAY I THINK ABOUT AND APPROACH SONG WRITING.  I can see that if I keep doing this for a while I will emerge the other side completely revamped as a song writer... hopefully for the better (although that is very subjective)... really this, at this point in my life, is about keeping myself into what I am doing... not getting bored, and trying all sorts of new things..
I really like making up songs on the fly, at the microphone, live.  I did it the last two open mics and I really dug it... I got comments even though no one knew, until I mentioned it later...to be honest I seem to get into a way better mental state this way.  Essentially wipes out all fear and gets me into a brain place that is creative.  Generally I have some great guitar progressions that I can manipulate various ways that I have played along time and don't have to think much about... I have studied some about the brain and there are different functions for the right and left hemispheres... music must be more right brained, which can almost seem subconcious (which it is not because the right brain knows what it's doing but the left side, the part that "speaks" in my head has to be quiet... actually both parts work on music but... so there is memorization... where one learns a song verbatim, start to finish...plays it perfect, sings the lines perfect... and that is where much music is and goes and it is understandable why folks would do this... it's orderly, comfortable, consistent, expected and fits the world of making money and radio and all that... I GET IT and I can do that somewhat...but 

I AM  TRYING FOR SOMETHING MUCH DIFFERENT....

whether I will ever get there or not I don't know... and as weird as my music can defo be...and that is ok with me... I am a fairly normal dude... I kind of like the conversations I garner at the places I am playing before and after playing as I get to know folks and vice versa...it's kind of finding my place there... becoming part of that environment...it has a life of its own there...kind of like various natural habitats in the environment... flood lands, and swamps have differing feel and life than say the mountains...it's interesting to think about and see where it goes...sorry about these long posts but if you read all this you don't care !!! 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Zoltan

There's no way you won't improve as a performer & songwriter if you keep doing these kinds of ventures.

Your closing note has a lot of spirit. That's one of those things you'll be building up while "paying the dues".
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Farrell Jackson

Stephen, being one that has done open mics, I find your open mic adventures and insights very enjoyable reading. Music is supposed to fun, whether it's performing or songwriting. It seems to me that you are on the right track. Keep us updated on future adventures!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

finally getting my act together it feels like.  I did a cover of "At War With The World" last night by Foreigner and also two other first album songs by Aerosmith (Mama Kin) and Boston.  I am evidently in love with first albums, and some, even mostly the more obscure songs but that were great to me. 

I find that if I speak just a little about what I am playing and why, the listeners are more interested.. that keeps me interested...

I hope to record some of these open mics sometime...but I don't want to be worrying about stuff like that when I am playing... most of you played lots of times before and you know you gotta have a clear head to play well... it's a space that has to be found to bring out one's best..

here is a close proximation to the second song I played last night, went over very well....  I got this sound by taking two outputs from the acoustic via my tuner, on one channel, into the Zoom R24 (very portable, battery powered, easy to perform with) clean sound and dominant.  The other channel was a touch of distortion, lower volume, and of course the microphone.  Sounded good I think.

didn't hurt I had a bit of accompaniement. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqfYfUxi_HE

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Hilary

That was fun - I enjoyed that Stephen - sounded very accomplished to me!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

cuthbert

Impressive! Looks like your open mic nights are really paying off. Switching between rhythm and lead playing and back is something I struggle with, but you're making it look easy. I know it isn't.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Zoltan

Well done! I was surprised that there was soloing too! I would have expected the playing to be mostly strumming and singing, but i guess there's no holding back when Stephen gets loose :)

Works well and sounds great. You have your act together!

(I found a bonus also. Stephen on a shred mood!).
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper