My adventures at open Mics

Started by StephenM, June 23, 2022, 05:18:56 AM

Hilary

Great to hear you doing so well Stephen. Sounds like you've got a community of talented songwriters and players to perform with - I hope they know how lucky they are!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Zoltan

That sounds wonderful! It's so enjoyable to hear about your adventures. Later on they could turn this into a Netflix series. Netflix and Stephen!

At one point i was wondering if you'd played acoustic drums much. Because it sounded like you have the space for them... And making loud noises is fun! Then again perhaps the other people in the household wouldn't think of them as such fun :)

This brings a story to mind (readers beware: pull in a comfy chair, or run don't walk!). Once upon a time i had to make sure that the backline for a one particular "roots" band would be up to their usual standards. Their sound is quite "retro" so nothing too modern would fit. It was a big festival, and to make things easier they didn't want to bring their own gear. Everything was fine and dandy, except i had to pull a little number on the drummer.

I informed the drummer that everything was in place and the kit he would be playing would a an ELECTRIC ALESIS KIT. I could hear the frustration in his voice and the slight build up of anger. I kept on going thru the different kit pieces "the Alesis has different snare sounds" etc. but that "you couldn't change them because another band has already made the sounds their own" etc. I kept going until i couldn't anymore....

This doesn't sound particularly funny when told this way. But in reality it was hilarious :D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

I will be thinking about acoustic drums now for sure... but its gotta be the right setup and that part scares the heck out of me...
Funny story Z...
Thanks for reading and sharing this with me all

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

Quote from: StephenM on August 18, 2022, 04:58:34 AMits gotta be the right setup and that part scares the heck out of me

Yeah, all drumkits sound GREAT until you start to compare them :D Then they all start sounding like they lack something.

The only advice i'd give is. Start small and make that sound great. Used (and cheap) is good. There are "bongos" laying everywhere...

Edit: found this illustrative picture from the net :)

drumkit.jpg

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Kudos and a lot of respect for embracing the fun, energy and opportunity Stephen. Sounded fun!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Zoltan on August 18, 2022, 05:39:33 AMYeah, all drumkits sound GREAT until you start to compare them :D Then they all start sounding like they lack something.

The only advice i'd give is. Start small and make that sound great. Used (and cheap) is good. There are "bongos" laying everywhere...

I think this is super advice...  simple is usually better

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

The other night I played open mic on a large stage in a nice wooden bandshell.  It was great but it felt odd.  I was quite a distance from those present.  It was a restaurant/bar that has quite a commitment to live groups.  It wasnt well advertised as it was put together quick so there were only a few artists attending.  So... i got to play about an hour.  Which takes me 10 to 15 minutes to really get into the flow.  It was a small crowd, mostly folks stopping by to get a bit to eat and have a drink.  I found they really warmed up to me after a 4 songs or so....but it got much better after talking a little about what I was trying to do on guitar, harmonica and on songs. 
Not sure why I do this other than its a great challenge.  I also think its making me a better musician, singer, entertainer... what for? 
Just because i seem to like it...and Ive  met some cool folks so far too.
One other thing... i have to really believe in everything I play and sing... desire, feeling, hunger, intensity, passion...people resonate with these...
Its the well to tap in live music.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Bluesberry

So cool to read this..... you are awesome dude

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder