My adventures at open Mics

Started by StephenM, June 23, 2022, 05:18:56 AM

StephenM

I started reviewing my music and realized most of it I could not really play live... as in first off when I am done recording them I could not play the songs without actually learning them as a cover band would.  So I picked out a few that I thought I had a decent chance to play live.  Now I learned a few.

I have played lots of times live but always in a band.  I made myself go to a walkway where lots of foot traffic was and get out and play as the folks walked by.  Acoustic guitar, harmonica, and me with a song book.  Most of what I played though were covers.  I did this 3 straight days for about 2 hours at a time.  It made me alot better and I was not sure I could play and sing that long.  Had a couple of very interesting interactions with passerby's (I am not attempting to get any money btw).

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Open mic 1:  June 14 Cedar Stump pup in Statesville
 I took my Hummingbird which has no pickup, my harmonica, me.   The incredible musician lady hosting it named Tonya Wood made me feel so welcome and had a pickup to mount in the guitar.  It was a full slate and I played about 15 minutes.  For the first time it went ok.  I played a couple of originals (I Came Alive, Mr. Potato King, and one I made up totally on the fly that I thought went really well).  I think I did a cover or two...can't remember.  What I learned:  Practice more and get the words really down in memorization.  It sucks standing there playing and forgetting the words.  Also i decided next time I would use my electric and Trio and bring the energy more toward my normal. 

Also there was a young lady in the audience who wanted to talk with me about "Mr. Potato King".... she was telling me all about the meaning of it.  I started laughing because she actually heard the whole thing and nailed the satirical value of it to a T.... note to self:  LYRICS DO MATTER ALOT at least to many people

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Open Mic 2:  June 15 Cedar Stump Pub Troutman, NC

They were short tonight and I ended up playing 2 different times for about an hour total.  The first set went better as I was better prepared.  I took my digitech trio and had drums/bass/ programmed for several songs and am able to loop a rhythm guitar track as well.  This really is great as long as you really know what you put in well.  The trio can be very exact.  I can actually get up to 5 sections of songs and sequence them how I want.  In this case I kept it a bit simpler until I am more experienced at it. 

I did a cover of Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar.  This went well.  I noticed alot of people singing along.  I did pretty well memorizing the words and new the music well.  I also notice that at open mic the host introduces you and that first song is one that actually gets listened to quite closely by the patrons as they are wondering what you are about.
I used my wireless guitar device (very small, very simple) and walked around the bar a bit playing... this worked pretty well.... I gotta expand on this.
Second song was a cover of a very old song called Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings by ZZ Top.  I know it well lyrically (it's fairly easy and short lyrics, a big plus too).  Most people would not know that song.
I also did an electric version of Mr. Potato King.  I actually got a request for it as someone heard it the night before at the other place and thought it was great.

I was chatting with a few folks and a lady got up and sang a couple of covers with me.... (Can't You See and Feel Like Making Love, which I like changing the words of the chourus too...so that got some laughss.)

I think alot of this will be about making connections with people who like to sing and play too.  There was a young lady who came up to me and said "You're a rock star."  I thought that was crazy cool.... then she told me she wants to be a drummer so we chatted a bit and I made a few encouragements to her quest for that... I hope she does...

What I learned:  some people are actually listening and i really need to sharpen up a list about at least an hour so when the opportunity comes I can seize them

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Open Mic 3:  June 21 Cedar Stump pub in Statesville.

I met the owner.  Very nice younger man who loves music and is a musician.  He has lots of groups through his two places.  Made a good connection.  I can tell this guy is about building community there and I like that.  In some ways his pubs become like extended family. 

I noticed that the crowd this week was mostly different.  Also I played for an hour as only a few people showed up to play.  Probably max of 40 people in the place but it always seems like plenty as it isn't that big.  Got a request for Mr. Potato King.... funny....

Overall the time went well.  I decided to play electric and I spent quite a bit of time jamming out.  They seem ok with it... I am trying to bring out the best of it all. 

watching Tonya play tonight I realized she is a master of getting folks to notice her music.  She only does covers.  She and an acoustic guitar player brought the place down with a crazy version of "Very Superstitious."  It was a simple but powerful lesson in getting a groove and working it....

lessons learned.... I made a mistake with the Trio, hitting a wrong button, and erasing the song sequences... whoops... I don't want to be up front fiddling with stuff.  So I must really know the device perfectly.  I am practicing more with it.  It's a powerful tool to help me....

Why am i doing this?  Because it challenges the heck out of me.  That is good for me!  Plus I have some great songs that deserve to be heard and I can make connections with others.  I tend to isolate and don't grow that way.  It's wonderful to sit in the studio and record.... but.... there is something else too.... live music.

going on vacation so I won't be back to play these open mics for 6 weeks or so.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

des0free

This sounds exciting!  What you're doing is the ultimate in the realm of music - live performance, solo, with nowhere to hide, and you are forced to be bold and creative and figure out a way to pull it off. And it sounds like you are succeeding at this. And it sounds like a great way to meet new people and ones who are actually interested in listening to live music... sometimes it seems like there are rather few. Like when I've seen a performer in a bar or restaurant and most people are ignoring.  Me on the other hand, I'm one of those people that is intensely drawn to live music - I will be listening and appreciating, and even ignoring my friends and family  :D , even if the musician is amateur and imperfect - there is just something magical about live music that draws me in.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Zoltan

Yes. This sounds like an exciting adventure! I like that you're putting yourself on the spot and learning from the experience and giving back to the people(*

Can't wait to hear more of your musical adventures! The summer of song awaits :)

(* This sounds like something from the 60's. Which is not bad :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Pete C

Kudos on you for doing this Steve, I'd love to see a video of you performing. A great challenge to set for yourself. I wouldn't have the skill or the cojones to do it myself.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Farrell Jackson

Good on you Stephen! Open mics are a fun, sometimes intimidating, place to hone your performance skills. But there's nothing like putting yourself out there and getting immediate feedback on what you're doing. Whether it's good or bad, it does get you polished up for the next one...I'm envious!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

I did an open mic last night in Saranac Lake NY, at the Rusty Nail.  They have open mics on Tuesdays at 8.  Mark, the guy hosting has done that every Tuesday 6 years now.  You gotta love music to do that! 
I got asked to be drummer for 2 acts.  The first "band" was Steve on a Ibanez electric hollow body and Aaron on bass, me on drums.  It went really well.  I almost never play acoustic drums.  They had a nice kit all set up in the bar, they stay there.  So I rocked it.  Then the bass player got an acoustic guitar and rocked the joint big time... i played drums and Steve was on lead guitar...
I didnt know anyone when we went, it was fun playing with people you dont even know... honestly i felt like a kid on Christmas morning playing those drums...im darn sure id be asked to play drums again there.... not bragging here but acknowledging my great desire and all the practice i put in paying off in becoming a competent musician with alot of versatility. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Should mention that i played several originals on acoustic and a couple covers that a guitar player named Steve played with me on..for me though getting to play drums in a band for over an hour was the pinnacle

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24