Replying to Individauls

Started by Rob Grant, June 22, 2022, 06:52:27 AM

Rob Grant

I posted a song a couple of weeks ago and received 9 replies. I don't get on line much, so after seeing these, I wanted to reply to each individual. It doesn't seem to allow me to do that, to earlier replies. Other than sending each person a PM, is there a way to do individual replies? I also tried to listen to an older song from TPB, his "Onward" cover by YES, but all I could get was reply posts to the song. I thought I would do the same for each person that commented on my song "WHY". Help?!?!
"The road to hell is paved with good intents"

Hook

So we frown (a little) on response posts to each comment. Most of us wait and then respond (in the same thread) to all the comments in one post. Each time you post on your thread it bumps your song to the top of the lists, we call that a self bump and it can be seen as trying to monopolies the site with your own tunes.
Personally, I think the best way to respond to someone posting on your song is to go and listen and post a comment on their songs. We all are here because we hope our songs get listened to, comments are nice but it's not necessary to respond to each one.
I haven't been around much lately,hoping to rectify that soon and do some serious listening. Welcome, I look forward to hearing your stuff.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

StephenM

over time folks will get to know you and what you are about... and I think Hook's comment is very good...

lot of listens to others...and comments...

sometimes the site is really busy and it is hard to keep up... usually it is a small town feel, I really like that... people have mostly all good vibes...

rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

Exactly what Hook said. Most of us don't comment to get a thank you but if you truly want to thank someone then go listen and comment on one (or more) of their songs.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Frank53

Yes, this has been a bit of a conundrum to me as well. I feel uncomfortable not thanking someone for doing something nice. I also got in the habit of waiting until there were a number of comments, then thanking everyone at once. But then I felt I was bumping my own post. I agree with the comments above; just thank commenters by giving them a listen, and commenting in kind.  :)
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Mike_S

I felt the same as Frank for quite a while at the beginning but also eventually settled into just listening to other folks tracks as much as I could trying to pay attention if I thought I might be overlooking anyone. But I have no issue if people say thanks once or twice in a thread and also enjoy reading if the original poster gives time to explain anything they may have been asked about. And also, importantly for me anyway, if someone has responded in an amusing way, one or two back and forth funny retorts is welcomed by me.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say I'm not wearing any underwear.

Mike_S

Quote from: Blooby on January 05, 2023, 12:40:59 PMI'd just like to take this opportunity to say I'm not wearing any underwear.

Bang on cue! :)
recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: Blooby on January 05, 2023, 12:40:59 PMI'd just like to take this opportunity to say I'm not wearing any underwear.

The oddest part of this quote is that there was any doubt at all. It's not like we EXPECTED you to wear underwear.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ted

Quote from: Rob Grant on June 22, 2022, 06:52:27 AMI thought I would do the same for each person that commented on my song "WHY"

You can reply to each person in a single comment. Select the part of the comment to which you want to reply, and then click the QUOTE SELECTED TEXT button.

Replying_to_Individauls.png

An SMF quote tag with text you selected will automatically be popped into the Reply or Quick Reply field. (If your cursor is in the field already, it will be placed where your cursor was.)

Then you can reply directly under the quote. (Not within the quote tag. That's weird.)

Replying_to_Individauls.png

Then you can do it again with the next comment to which you want to reply.

Quote from: Hook on June 22, 2022, 09:51:46 AMI think the best way to respond to someone posting on your song is to go and listen and post a comment on their songs.

It depends. If there is an actual conversation going on in the comments – about the song, or how it was made, or whether spandex was involved – it's fine to keep that in the same topic. Like Mike_S said:

Quote from: Mike_S on January 05, 2023, 10:28:26 AMif the original poster gives time to explain anything they may have been asked about. And also, importantly for me anyway, if someone has responded in an amusing way, one or two back and forth funny retorts is welcomed by me.

But I agree with Hook: If your reply boils down to "Thanks for saying nice things about my song" then most people would probably like you to return the favor: Go listen to and comment on one of the songs by the person who left the nice comment on your own song.

By the time you are ready to submit your comment with multiple replies, it looks like this (quotes highlighted yellow, my responses highlighted orange.)

Preview_-_Re__Replying_to_Individauls.png
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac