The Time Traveler asks "Why?" - (Satchwood Original called "Why?")

Started by Satchwood, June 17, 2009, 09:23:36 AM

Ferryman

Fantastic. Restrained, melodic, beautiful. Fine piece of work, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Saijinn Maas

Frank53

Beautiful piece of music, Satch! Terrific composition, and wonderful performance. Pretty darn good, for a "first draft". Really enjoyed it!

Frank
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

galestermusic

The ambience of the guitars together is great? So when is you CD coming out? :)

hardlock

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Satchwood

Thank you for everyones comments - I enjoyed reading them!!

I think I may try a vox version.......we'll see....I definitely want to revamp some of the guitar soloing and clean it up a bit. 

One thing I've learned is to listen to each track by itself...it's amazing what chorded rhythms can cover up for lead solos - and it's amazing what drums can cover up (or expose) for rhythm guitar chord progressions without the lead solo and bass...
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

version with vox coming soon if satch likes what ive done.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Rockatron

Satch, this is wild! and so well done.  Power in your music for sure!  Just wondering, when you sit down in front of your BR, do you get inspired on the spot or do you think of what you should do for a song ahead?  Great stuff El Satcho!
recorder
Boss BR-80

"Play, just play..."

Bluesberry

Quote from: Rockatron on June 19, 2009, 11:49:00 AMSatch, this is wild! and so well done.  Power in your music for sure!  Just wondering, when you sit down in front of your BR, do you get inspired on the spot or do you think of what you should do for a song ahead?  Great stuff El Satcho!
Now thats a great question.  I am curious also, your stuff sounds so elaborate and composed, how do you go about writing something epic like you do?  If you don't mind our asking Satch.  If it is a carefully guarded secret, thats ok too.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Satchwood

OK, here's my deep dark secret composition recipe in a nutshell:  8)

1. Jam alot with different MBR drum settings (just have fun)...or watch TV with guitar in hand and just play around...or pull out some music books and get inspired...or listen to music and get inspired...

2. Pick a key that I haven't composed a song in for a while (don't always do this)

3. Jam some more with varioius chord progressions & MBR drums in selected key (tweak rhythm tempo)

4. Work out a guitar rhythm song structure with intro, verse/chorus structure, bridge, & outro

5. Record rhythm guitar/s with basic MBR drum pattern and then adjust the rhythm pattern to fit with: intro & ending (start documenting tracks & basic drum rhythm pattern/tempo)

6. Jam alot of lead scale stuff to my recorded song chord structure, try to find some hooks and melodies (try to play what I hear in my head).

7. Record lead stuff and then start listening and listening and listening (sometimes put on mp3 player and listen often). Sometimes listen to other "pro" songs similar in style and then come back and listen to my composition...

8. Then re-do or AB punchin in/out for small corrections etc.

9. Program the completed drum pattern fills and such...(finish documenting tracks & rhythm patterns)

This entire process can take me from a few hours, to days, and even weeks....some tunes come so flippin naturally, while others I struggle with and sometimes set aside and move on to something else more inspiring....then the thought will pop in my head....finish the song dude....so I dig it back out and finish er up...
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)