Computer Issue

Started by Blooby, June 05, 2022, 03:04:54 PM

Blooby

A few weeks back, my DAW computer must have done an update when I briefly connected to the web. Windows is now asking for a password I never had. I reset the password on another computer, and it still won't work on the DAW computer. I would rather not wipe it clean as there are a few files I would really like to retrieve beforehand.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Bruce/Blooby

64Guitars

Have you tried leaving the password empty? The fact that it prompts you for a password doesn't necessarily mean that a password has ever been set. If you've never set it, then it's probably empty.

If that doesn't work, try searching for reset windows password.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I've tried restarting, leaving it empty, resetting on another computer. I even bought Windows 10 on a USB and will wipe the entire thing, but I really want one file in particular first.

Question: When you reinstall an operating system, is there an option to leave existing files, or does it all get wiped in every instance?

Thanks for your input. This has been a drag and a half.

Bruce

chapperz66

I think I've read that there is an option to keep files intact but I have never actually done it myself so Ican't be certain. Is the computer a desktop or laptop? I got a tech to install a new operating system SSD which kept all my song data available after installation. More expensive but might be an option.

Blooby

Thanks.  I am taking my time with options before I dive in. I have also done some avoidance behavior because I'd rather not throw the computer across the room just yet.

Bruce

Mike_S

Could it have downloaded some kind of virus... it's strange that password thing. I'd be tempted to take it to a repair shop. Get them to take the info off and then wipe the thing clean
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on June 06, 2022, 10:09:28 AMQuestion: When you reinstall an operating system, is there an option to leave existing files, or does it all get wiped in every instance?

Installing an OS generally formats the partion on which the OS will be installed. If your files are on another partition, then you should still be able to access them, assuming you didn't let the installer format the whole drive, which is often the default. However, chances are that your hard drive has just one partition containing Windows and all of your data files, in which case, all of your data files will be erased when you re-install Windows.

My advice is to download a copy of Ubuntu and install it on a USB flash drive. Then you can boot into Ubuntu from that USB flash drive without actually installing it on your hard drive. So none of the files on your hard drive will be erased. You can then use Ubuntu's file manager to copy all of the files you want to keep from your Windows drive to another drive.

Download Ubuntu here: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Instructions for making a bootable USB flash drive:
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-desktop#1-overview

When you boot from the USB flash drive, you'll have the choice to "Try Ubuntu" or to "Install Ubuntu".

For your current needs, you should select "Try". Although, if you're as impressed with Ubuntu as I am, you might later decide to install it on your hard drive. There's even the option to install it alongside Windows so you can have your choice of OS each time you start the computer, although this makes the installation a bit harder and you run the risk of wiping out Windows if you make a mistake. If you have other computers with Windows and you want to have Ubuntu on just one computer, then the easiest way to install it is to let it have the whole computer (bye bye Windows). But that's for another day. For right now, you just want to use the Ubuntu USB stick as a rescue disk so you can access the files on your Windows hard drive without running Windows. Once you've copied all of your files to another drive, you can re-install Windows on that computer. Or you can install Ubuntu on it instead, or in addition to Windows, if you're interested in installing Ubuntu. If not, then just re-install Windows.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I had feeling you would have some solution. You truly are amazing, brother.

Thank you. I will try this.

Bruce

Blooby

First step involving Ubuntu appears to be working. 

A very sincere thank you for this. Unfortunately, it is merely step one in getting the DAW back in action. 

Again, thank you!!!

Bruce

Blooby

Had to reach out to Presonus again, but Studio One is back up and running. Currently downloading their soundsets, plugins, etc. Gearing up for 34rd party plugins next, which caused the problem in the first place.

Been a drag, but I wanted to express my thanks to 64 once again. He must have constant headaches from the pressure of all those brain cells.