'Play it as it Lays' - Original by Greeny

Started by Greeny, June 17, 2009, 08:05:06 AM

Greeny

12_TIM GREEN _Play it as it Lays
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's an experimental track which takes my current album song count up to 14 (so I think it's a wrap...!). It's my first ever piano-led song, and as such, I'm really unsure about it. Mainly because I feel like a ham-fisted chimp on the ivories. I left it for 3 weeks before I could even listen to it again and consider whether it was usable. It's also the most depressing-sounding song I've ever created. It's so depressing that you may not get through it! Even though it's under 3 mins long! :D

It's feel is inspired by an 80's band called Japan - especially their songs 'Despair' and 'The other side of life', which, in turn, were Erik Satie rip-offs. The title comes from a Joan Didion novel. It's about the circle of life and surviving for 'the ones that we love and the ones that we've lost along the way'. More positive than it seems.

All recorded on the micro, with some bits and bobs added in Audacity.

Damn - I'm so unsure of this one! Funny how scared I get when there's no guitar!!!!  :D

OsCKilO

I know that there is no Guitar, But it still has the Greeny Feel!

That Great Greeny Feel!

This aint depressing!

There is a messege of hope there!!!

And as always, A great vocal!

Is that the Evil Ma'am Greeny on the harmonies? The High Voice sounds Like Lisa Hannigan! If it was you, Thats great as well :)

Reminds me of Damien Rice!
I Love that kind of Stuff....

14 you say...?

Why not start a new concept Album?

Peace Tim

Tharek

P.s Osckilo are having a Jam at a studio on Friday and a drink at the "free Pub" after if you fancy it.......

Open to all.... Who can get to London.

Send us a message
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Greeny

Quote from: osckilo on June 17, 2009, 08:17:10 AMIs that the Evil Ma'am Greeny on the harmonies? The High Voice sounds Like Lisa Hannigan! If it was you, Thats great as well :)

It's me!  :D :-[

But funny you should say that, because my gf says that we have the D.Rice/L.Hannigan thing going on.

Quote from: osckilo on June 17, 2009, 08:17:10 AMP.s Osckilo are having a Jam at a studio on Friday and a drink at the "free Pub" after if you fancy it.......

Open to all.... Who can get to London

It's a great plan, but I'll be heading back to see my son straight after work on Friday. Another time though - definitely! Free beers? You'll have anyone on here within a 100 mile radius turning up!  :D

I have a feeling the next Jemima's Kite album could easily go down the concept route. Would be an interesting departure to have a cohesive theme to work to. I've already done my own concept album for this year, lol. Well... for the time being. Not sure where the next one is going to go direction-wise.

And thanks for the kind words!!!!

Satchwood

Very nice thoughtful song - the rain just fits right in there - nice touch!!

The piano sounds great and you should use it more often for ballads and songs like this - very nice!!

This is a song about life!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

cool one tim , dont know why, but it reminds me of wilco for some reason, bin watching their video ashes of american flags. regarding a concept album mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm need to think on that one
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 17, 2009, 08:57:38 AMcool one tim , dont know why, but it reminds me of wilco for some reason, bin watching their video ashes of american flags. regarding a concept album mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm need to think on that one

What about a musical?! lol. Jemima's Kite - the musical.

Or a concept album called: 'The Fridge', where every song is about an item in our fridges.

I need to get some new tracks down, whatever we do!

OsCKilO

Quote from: Greeny on June 17, 2009, 08:39:03 AMIt's me!  :D :-[

But funny you should say that, because my gf says that we have the D.Rice/L.Hannigan thing going on.

Lucky Sod!  On both counts!  Lol
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Oldrottenhead

QuoteOr a concept album called: 'The Fridge', where every song is about an item in our fridges.
we did that with northern soulfood
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

I totally completley love this song Tim.  The piano has given you a new edge and it works, big time.  Your voice sounds really great here,  the lyrics are very good.  It is as deep sounding as it gets.  Really outstanding.  You need to write with a piano more often for sure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Jim1970

All you songs are very magical!! This one is no exception.
love the piano and the rain effect.  It first reminded me of John Lennon, Double Fantasy vibe, You voice hear reminded me of him then It had a Roger Waters vibe to it. This is a great closer to a great compilation of music!!
JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR