GAS is real -- and it's insidious: My 2022 slow GAS leak

Started by Ted, June 03, 2022, 05:50:26 AM

Ted

Yesterday, out of curiosity, I added up an approximation of how much I've spent on music gear this year. I was shocked!

And what do I have to show for it in music? Not much. I've posted everything I've finished here: four songs, and two amateur gigs.

This accounting doesn't include a couple of small items, shipping, or the exorbitant amount I paid to get some of these things through Madagascar customs. I'm pretty sure it would top $1000 if I remembered/calculated those costs.

I don't even have all of this stuff yet. Most of it is still on its slow journey to Madagascar.

Holy-Shit-I've-Spent-A-Lot-on-Pedals-and-Stuff.jpeg

I hereby authorize anyone on Songcrafters to give me shit if I don't produce more music.

Pretty nice spreadsheet though, huh?

FYI: Dream Maker is another OEM name for Caline. Element is another OEM name for Joyo.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

And yes. I think this should be a banned topic. Perhaps Ted should be banned for bringing this up?

NEVER. EVER. Think about how much you're spending on gear. Especially when you know what GAS means. This is the kind of GAS you can't just pass.

The way you've outlaid the expenses makes it even more horrific! Potentially dangerous. Guitar strings are a small one time purchase. You don't count them. They don't cost "money". Cables and guitar stands are boring purchases. They're kinda the equivalent of getting soft packages in the christmas (Yeah, i skipped some developemental stages ;)). So of course they don't count. Expression pedal? It also goes into the "somewhat boring purchase" column. External footswitch? It's better that i don't say anything about this...

The pedals you bought are cheap if bought separately. Like you said they're the kind of non-brands that are just branded to go. If you'd buy enough of them from the factory they could even have TED in the pedals (That's a good idea btw! Then they would be "FREE" as they have your name on them).

So after carefully evaluating your purchases i see that you've bought a Thumpinator. So that's the REAL purchase. And i do agree that you should have bought it secondhand and got at least -50% from the price. But you're a lucky guy.... It reads Thumpinator. And EVERYBODY knows it THUMB is writting with a B instead of P. So i guess that kind of evens things out. In the end you bought nothing.

Now if somebody asks how much you spent from your family savings you can just say. You bought some bits & pieces. Kinda like socks & underwear. I doubt nobody would want you to skimp on those things...?

So now you can get back to drooling on that guitar you saw somewhere... ;)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

bruno

Thats just the price of a single golf club probably. I wouldnt worry on it.
b

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Zoltan

Quote from: bruno on August 30, 2022, 07:17:33 AMThats just the price of a single golf club probably. I wouldnt worry on it.

And there went my "buddhism".

I'll predict that soon we'll see Ted brandishing a somekind of a weird fuzz pedal with a somekind of animal logo on it.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

Quote from: Zoltan on August 30, 2022, 02:02:27 PM'll predict that soon we'll see Ted brandishing a somekind of a weird fuzz pedal with a somekind of animal logo on it.

Nah!

But..

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Mach

Yep, I have probably spent that much on actual GAS at the pump in the last four months.GAS.png
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

Your first error was to track your purchases. Ignorance really can be bliss.

Zoltan

What would you say if i said i have an another one coming? And no i don't mean it like that...

Tracking purchases is a fools game that results into a Crying Game, and THAT can turn into a surprise.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

my wife has every single kitchen gadget in the world and i mean everyone and two or more of many.... and I don't even eat her cooking that often (not that she isn't a great cook, because she is but it's a matter of timing and her working and my eating habits etc)....
If i added up all this stuff I am absolutely 100% sure that all my 7 guitars (2 bass, 2 acoustic, 3 electric), my two electronic drum kits and various recording stuff don't come close to that....so there is no guilt whatsoever on my part... lately though I haven't been buying anything that I don't absolutely need or will use...because I have so much now that I can barely scratch the surface on all the things they do... and I doubt I'll ever get caught up in pedals... just too dang complicated... now a line 6 or something I could defo go for... and a Shecter C-1 guitar...yeah..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner