minor keys

Started by wiley, June 16, 2009, 04:20:28 PM

Wiley

Ok I have a ???  When we have been learning the blues most everything has been in a minor key.  so if we are play in Cm  what are the chords?  In regular C it is C, F, and G or G7,  so in minor is it Cm, Fm, and Gm?  I was thinking of trying something from scratch and I don't know major yet to play a lead.  So I was just curious what consitutes a song in the key of Cm.  I hope this made some sense.  I could ask my teacher but  I thought it might be fun to hear what all of you have to say.  I am sure the other students would like to know too!!  I was just thinking of making my own backing track again that you guys had so much fun with. And did such an excellent job!! Thanks
P.J.

hewhoiscalledj

Let me start by saying I'm not a theory expert... With that said, here's what I use to cheat.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/chords/chordchart.htm

There's a chart that shows all the common chords for each key.

I also often use these online guitar resources for figuring out chords, what sounds good with certain chords, and notes in a scale.

http://www.jguitar.com   and for printing out scales, I like using http://www.studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer/

so yeah, i cheat... but i sure love playing guitar!!!

Kody

Having just completed a year of Music Theory class in college, Wiley, I can tell you that the key of Cm constitutes:  Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C, D....

On the other hand, the key of CM has no flats(or sharps)...

And when it comes to me soloing, I love to cheat LOL!  Whatever sounds good is what I go with. lol!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

StevieM

Errrrr ---- Chords????  I know in theory what they are. They're a lot of single notes played at the same time , right???? Any more than that, I'm lost and baffled.
Never have been able to get to grips with 'em.
Even Mikes simple patterns, Gm, C etc get me confused.
I just play what I hear ( or try to ;D), so can't help here.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Sprocket

Maybe I can help...this is "the circle of fifths"

Pick your key(i), yours is C
left is the iv...yours is F
and to the right is the v...yours is G

You should be able to play any chord voicings of those chords and itd work for your song.
You could even look at the inner circle and use the relative minor(in this case itd be your relative major)...you can use each of those in harmony with your minor chords and itd sound great too.

Id print that out, I use it time and time again...and I keep learning different uses for it.

I dunno if you noticed it, but the previous 2 lessons did a walk from a #v to the v, so theres another idea too.

Sprocket

Quote from: StevieM on June 16, 2009, 04:41:33 PMErrrrr ---- Chords????  I know in theory what they are. They're a lot of single notes played at the same time , right???? Any more than that, I'm lost and baffled.
Never have been able to get to grips with 'em.
Even Mikes simple patterns, Gm, C etc get me confused.
I just play what I hear ( or try to ;D), so can't help here.

You should really make yourself familiar with the open chords to start off with, once you get to A and E youll move into moveable chords and then 7th's are easy.(and sound great!)
Just dont be intimidated that there are so many chords to learn, because it does get easier.  And Id bet you could learn the (open)cowboy chords in a weekend...and playing beautiful music like never before  ;D

Wiley

Say Hewhoiscalled. I printed off your chart and I think it makes sense.  I will have to work with it some.

Kody  a C minor chord is c-eflat and g  How can the key of C minor not have any flats or sharps?? That makes no sense to me. LOL

And  Sprocket I didn't under stand your chart at first but after studying it it does.  I will definitely check it out on my keyboard.  Thanks a lot you guys.  I hope to post some more tracks soon.

I know open chords.  But a lot of the blues we have been playing are in minor and I want to be able to make my own tracks.  So there in is where my question came from.  I liked playing in Am but what chords do I use to play in the key of AM??  Maybe that explains it better.

Yes STevie open chords will open a whole new world to you. You should try to learn them.  But it does take time because you have to use 3 or 4 fingers at once. LOL
Thanks guys.  I think I have a better Idea now.

Kody

QuoteKody  a C minor chord is c-eflat and g  How can the key of C minor not have any flats or sharps?? That makes no sense to me. LOL

No....lol!  little m=minor; BIG M=Major :D The key of C Major has no sharps or flats.  The key of C minor has 3 flats: A, B, and E...

The C minor chord I have not mentioned, I'm just talking key signature.   8)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Pine

Quote from: wiley on June 16, 2009, 06:16:15 PMI know open chords.  But a lot of the blues we have been playing are in minor and I want to be able to make my own tracks.  So there in is where my question came from.  I liked playing in Am but what chords do I use to play in the key of AM??  Maybe that explains it better.

Wiley..if i may intrude with my limited knowledge of theory. If you want to play a standard progression in A major, it would be a 1-4-5. If you scroll up to the circle of 5ths, that would be A-D-E.

Loved your little blues jam and the cute cabin by the lake.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Wiley

;D Yes I know in A major you play A-D- and E.  :D  What I want to know is what chords to I need to play for A minor?  Am -Dm- and Em?? 

OK KODY a little m  Will you just tell me?? You are driving me nuts!  :o :o

You know I think on that  minor note I think I will go read a book and get ready for bed.  I think I am going to have minor nightmares and majors playing across my brain tonight.  B :P
 ??? Big MMMM'SSS and little mmmm's  Hey are they like M &m's  I like them.   :-\
Goodnight