Tried Zoom R24 as USB Audio Interface/Control Surface - Pretty good!

Started by des0free, May 25, 2022, 01:32:03 AM

des0free

I finally got around to trying my Zoom R24 recorder as a USB audio interface with my computer (and Reaper) - it is pretty good.  Example song fragment here:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=32541.msg387641#msg387641

I now mostly use a computer audio interface/DAW instead of a stand alone recorder, so wasn't using my R24 much until I remembered it can act as audio interface and DAW "control surface". 

Advantages:

- Can apply low-latency reverb and guitar/bass effects on Zoom while monitoring recording, and record the tracks into the computer either "wet" (with FX) or dry (without). I first used dry, intending to apply VST plugins later, but quickly realized that for initial/rough song attempts it is faster to record with zoom fx wet, and they sound pretty good.

- Can do quick rough mix adjustments using sliders on R24 to control track levels in DAW

- Can start/stop recording and rewind using buttons on R24 - faster than reaching for keyboard/mouse

- Can activate tracks for recording or mute/solo tracks via buttons on R24

- Could record 8 tracks simultaneously into DAW, if one needs that (I currently don't)

- There are 5 additional function keys on the R24 you can assign to DAW functions (haven't tried this yet)

Caveat: I'm not yet sure of the recorded sound quality relative to other recorders that may have better preamps and A/D converters.  I have been thinking of eventually buying interface that has very good preamps and converters according to reviews/tests.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

Was it hard to set up? I purchased one of these used well over a year ago and still haven't set it up other than an initial trial to check that it worked.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

StephenM

I love my R24 but have never tried it with the DAW.... I tried my Zoom L-20 and could not make it work.  I could play audio back from the computer to the Zoom via USB but I could not get the sound to go to the computer from the Zoom...
I gave up and started taking recorded tracks as wav files off the Zoom and placing them onto the DAW...
I am somewhat technically limited..

I think I might try my R24 with the laptop to see what happens...
I had stopped using the R24 and thought about getting rid of it but lately I've used it alot when I need to record somewhere else from the studio...as in doing vocals in the camper or something. 
I am going to use it alot this summer as I will be traveling to the Adirondack park in upstate NY...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner