Advice required - which overdrive pedal?

Started by Greeny, June 16, 2009, 05:08:31 AM

Sprocket

Quote from: Greeny on June 22, 2009, 02:15:27 AMWell... I bought the original - and chunky - Big Muff. A mere £45, so I figured it was worth a gamble. It sounds great... incredible sustain. I've had a quick play, but plan to be recording some (in particular) Jemima's Kite guitar tracks with it soon. Thanks everyone!!!!

Im sorry I got to this late, but I think you made a great choice with the Big Muff...especially if youre using humbuckers.
I own the Double Muff and the BD-2 youd originally posted, as well as an 808 handbuilt clone.
The Double Muff is cool like the Big Muff, but the "double" portion is a lil akward to get at on demand...it uses a slider type switch, if you are barefoot and have finger toes you might be able to switch it into double mode...and this would be great for leads, but as said, its akward.
The BD-2 I use as a clean boost for my tube amps, it adds nice sparkle and gets my clean just to the point of breakup.
And the 808 clone does the lead work...its like the BD-2 with more drive, but not as much as the Double Muff.
I prefer the BD-2 and 808 clone for my Strat tones, and the Double Muff for thick heavy driven humbucker tones.

Blooby

Next time I get G.A.S., I have been spying one of the distortion pedals from Xotic.  They are so creamy.  Scott Henderson, Andy Timmons, and a gaggle of other players swear by them.  I was looking for a semi-transparent boost for leads.  The following is a comparison of their RC, AC, and BB pedals, demonstrated by young hotshot Josh Smith.  Hang in there.  He has some tasty playing in this video.

Peace.

Blooby