Advice required - which overdrive pedal?

Started by Greeny, June 16, 2009, 05:08:31 AM

SdC

I'll jump in where Kody left off... I'm also a big line6 fan. The pod's however are typical Desktop models, and if you're looking for a true stompbox with its simplicity and foot operation, but also want the line6 modeling quality, you should know they also make those for you:
http://bx.line6.com/stompboxmodelers/dm4.htm

recorder
Boss BR-600

guitarron

there as many pedals as there are opinions-the only sure way is to buy something, try it out, keep it or take it back and try again.
Guitar Center wiil allow you to do that here in th U.S.-may be you have a store that will do that in the U.K.
i'm assuming this would be part of your live rig

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Wow! Thanks everyone! Never thought about checking out Youtube - thanks 64guitars (again!).

Davo

Ive got most of the boss overdrives, it sounds like the BD-2 is right up your alley.    It can overdrive your amp (level high, gain down), or put out a creamy, smooth OD.  Much less of a mid range bump, and more gain then the tube screamer. 
The OD-3 is smoother sounding, higher gain, and bumps the bass, mids, and highs-sounds good, id describe it as the band "the offsprings" tone.

The bad monkey gets great reviews into "clean" amps like the Fender twin reverb.

There are great samples on youtube, use headphones to get a better idea how they sound.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bluesberry

Quote from: Kody on June 16, 2009, 12:45:39 PM
I have to agree with this one.  I bought one of these pocket pods a while ago and used it briefly, then put it in a drawer and haven't touched it until this thread.  I pulled it out yesterday and tried it infront of my Epi ValveJR, headphone out direct to my stereo line in, recorded into my microBR with it.  The thing is incredible, great flipping tones, sounds great in all configurations, as a effect box infront of a small tube amp (lots of great usable overdrive settings), plugged into the stereo as a practice amp, headphone amp, and great tones for recording with no noise at all.  And the effects, amp models and tones this thing has is unbelievable.  I am going to start using this thing more often!!!!! It is a great deal for the money Greeny, check it out for sure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

i like the line 6 stuff-been considering getting one so i can access my variax guitar settings

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kody

Here's the newest addition to the Pod family...even cheaper than the pocket pod~ It's the Pocket Pod Express!!

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Greeny

Well... I bought the original - and chunky - Big Muff. A mere £45, so I figured it was worth a gamble. It sounds great... incredible sustain. I've had a quick play, but plan to be recording some (in particular) Jemima's Kite guitar tracks with it soon. Thanks everyone!!!!

Davo

The Muff is a great pedal, one of my favorites.  It will do fat and warm and thin and buzzy well.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Kody on June 21, 2009, 05:07:42 PMHere's the newest addition to the Pod family...even cheaper than the pocket pod~ It's the Pocket Pod Express!!

Thanks Guys.....Cos of you lot I just bought one...Keep you posted on how it sounds!