Advice required - which overdrive pedal?

Started by Greeny, June 16, 2009, 05:08:31 AM

Greeny

I can't afford an Ibanez Tube screamer, but was thinking about one of the following. Does anyone have any views, or do they have any other suggestions? I can't afford big money for one, so up to £70 (ish) will have to do....

I quite like the thought of this double muff (oo errr!) because it has two channels of mild and mad overdrive...

Thanks!

Flash Harry

Anything that says double muff on it get's my vote!

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bluesberry

I have a blues driver and I like it.  It is a nice crunchy boost without too much distortion.  It does what it says, gives a nice bluesy tube overdrive sound.  I use mine infront of a Fender Blues Jr amp and it sounds pretty good.  I really like the Boss FRD-1 pedal, I have one and it is real nice, smooth, rich, tubey.  It makes my little 5W Epi Valve Jr sound like a FRD almost.  I would seriously look into these pedals for a real nice OD.

http://www.bossus.com/go/fender/

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

grolschie

Digitech Bad Monkey is good. It's a modified tubescreamer circuit with improved tone controls. The Muff and the Bluesdriver are totally different types of sounds. What sound are you after?

Blooby

Tube Screamer-wise, the TS 808 is pricey, but the TS9 is reasonable.  I'm sure it's close tonewise.

Blooby

Greeny

Quote from: grolschie on June 16, 2009, 06:06:35 AMDigitech Bad Monkey is good. It's a modified tubescreamer circuit with improved tone controls. The Muff and the Bluesdriver are totally different types of sounds. What sound are you after?

This is the problem - I'm a bit of a pedal novice. I have a chorus, flanger and wah, but want something to give me a bit more crunch. I'd say I was after a more classic / vintage rock tone rather than a metal-type distortion.

I've heard of the bad monkey - it's supposed to be pretty good, so I'll put it on the consideration list!

Or just decide to go for a tube screamer re-issue!

Flash Harry

I have a Marshall Guv'nor which is Ok. Good range of grunchy tones to screaming wild distortion, link that with my compressor and it's unusable in polite company
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Jim1970

I have the Bad monkey pedal, Its very good and has a good tone control.

JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Prive

As a pedal diy'er and electronic tech i recommend to save some money and look for a boss sd-1 super overdirve, it's the same thing, there are some minor differences with the ts808, if you have some skills or a friend can help you i could give you some step guide to mod the sd1 to ts808 specs for some coins in materials. You don't hear any difference between the two pedals stock.
Just let me know.
Music, music and three times music!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

Blooby

Love my Sansamp GT2.  You can a very fendery tone to a Marshall to a Boogie and many points in between.  I'm itching to get the BB pedal by Xotic right now.

Blooby