Time for something completely different

Started by Dmann, June 15, 2009, 05:10:58 PM

Dmann

Hey everyone,

So as of late I've been getting really bored with playing guitar, bass, and attempting singing and pretty much hit that "brick wall," where I have no inspiration or desire which adds up to a completely unsatisfying time whenever I practice or Jam.

There's many factors as to why, mostly the guys I am jamming with don't really care to learn anything new and I can only play the same songs so many times before I am ready to just shoot myself hahaha... but worst of all is when you spend the time learning new material but no one else in the band does, it just seems like a complete waste. On top of all this, even after learning a new song, I just don't get any satisfaction out of playing it...... So I thought maybe a change would do me some good because I don't want to end up like before and put my guitar down for 7 years..... So anyways I decided to try something completely new, went down to the local band music store and bought a starter Violin. I've always loved classical style music and used to play a lot when I owned a 12 string acoustic many years ago.

WOW! I never knew how much different it was to play a bowed string instrument compared to guitar. I've now had the violin for 4 days and finally got a grip on how to hold the instrument properly.

The hardest part though is finding the notes because 1st off, the strings are tuned backwards compared to guitar. Low to high is G-D-A-E, on top of this there are no frets so I am having a real tuff time finding the notes, then add in the whole using the bow it is really like learning how to play all over again.

Anyways, I've found a nice set of video lessons on youtube which is really helping a lot, It's like 60 video's from a professional violin instructor, and I've made it through to about lesson #16 so far.

So ya blah blah blah, just thought I'd share and let you all know it won't be too long until you hear me putting up some violin recordings, and hopefully I could find some other folks here that are interested in collaborating some quartet style recordings via the MicroBR.

PeAcE
Dmann

Kody

Wow.....and your last post was Metallica.  HAhahhaha!!!

No offense, Dmann~ I think that's really cool you're expanding your horizons...A talented violinist is always a treat to hear!! Good luck with your new journey~
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Bluesberry

Good one Dman, its all good if it keeps you learning and making music.  I used to play tenor sax in high school, and I keep looking at one at my local music store.  I just may do something like this one of there days also.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

Well done Friend!!!!!!

Violin is an amazing instrument!

Less "Taught" than Guitar and More packed with feeling at times!!!!!
The Mother-In-Law has one in her attic that she say's that she will let me have when I stop Smoking!!!!!

I have always wanted to play one!

Terry (Osckilo) only wants to play covers..... I can't stand playing them....
Always beating to someone else's drum!

"Just you" was the first original thing we did together........ And His last!

Probably why I aint seen him in a while!!!!!

But don't give up on Guitar!!!!!!!
It can be the best experimentive tool you have ever known!!!!!!

Look at the masters like Blooby!!!!

It can be anything you want it to be...... And more!

That doesn't mean stop the Violin Playing though!!!!!

Nice one Bro!!!!

Maybe a Celtic Collab Soon!

Peace

T (Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Greeny

Thanks for sharing. All sorts of new horizons will open up for you because of this. It is very easy to reach guitar 'saturation' sometimes - I've been there myself, and usually break it by learning some new chords. But this is a big leap - a challenge to learn, but full of rewards when you do. Good stuff - and good luck!

SdC

Quote from: Kody on June 15, 2009, 06:14:18 PMWow.....and your last post was Metallica.  HAhahhaha!!!.....

That's not so surprising IMO. Jazz and Heavy Metal are popular music styles which (potentialy) share a lot of complexities with classical music.

recorder
Boss BR-600