"Best of" SC suggestion

Started by Mike_S, April 27, 2022, 06:07:03 AM

Mike_S

I had this in my head a little while. It's something I personally would find a good thing, but I don't know what others or admin would feel about it.

So it's a simple idea and not very ground breaking, but I thought a juke box could be dedicated to a "best of" songcrafters songs. So sort of like a greatest hits compilation but with many songs that would randomly play in a different order anytime you clicked it, like the way the random dozen does.

I know we have the samplers every year... but this could in theory keep playing for quite a while and would throw up songs possibly long forgotten. It would act a bit like a radio station I suppose but with no DJ and could be relied upon to play unexpected top quality members songs all the time.

Songcrafters could propose a certain number of their own tunes for the juke box, say 5 or ten each. Another reason I have thought of this is, speaking personally, I know the quality of my own tunes is a bit hit and miss. Some I am pleased with more than others and I know if anyone were to go to my own juke box and hit play, pretty soon they would hit a not so good song and probably lose interest. If others felt something similar (although there are certainly members that hit a consistently high bar) at least we would have a decent archive of what could be considered the best of songcrafters.

Happy to be put back in my box if folk don't agree! :)

Mike

recorder
iPad GarageBand

des0free

It's a interesting idea and related to one I thought about too - it could also be interesting if it were possible to allow each person to be able to build a jukebox containing songs by other people that they like, that everyone else can also see, which might help me find gems I missed.  But I understand this may be too difficult to implement and that it could be something the administrators don't feel fits with the main spirit/purpose of the site.  One could also have a thread where people post lists of links of some number of "top favorites" songs they like; could be a separate thread for covers and originals.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

So I think we have that Mike_s but most might not realize. When you go to the Members Jukebox page it puts up a random dozen. Each time you reload the page it puts up a different  list.  Pretty much what your saying...I think.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Mike_S

Quote from: Hook on April 27, 2022, 10:18:09 AMSo I think we have that Mike_s but most might not realize. When you go to the Members Jukebox page it puts up a random dozen. Each time you reload the page it puts up a different  list.  Pretty much what your saying...I think.

No that was not what I meant. I know about the random dozen. The thing that I imagined was a "best of" so members would choose a bunch of their best songs, we bung them all in a big juke box and then you would have a big single juke box of all of the best songs on songcrafters.

This would separate the very best songs (kind of like a giant greatest hits compilation) on songcrafters from the rest into what I think would be a great long play juke box.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hook

Well, we have the yearly sampler which is our pick for our best so, I guess it would be a player that plays all the yearly samplers randomly?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Mike_S

You could do something like that.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on April 27, 2022, 10:59:06 AMWell, we have the yearly sampler which is our pick for our best so, I guess it would be a player that plays all the yearly samplers randomly?

I think that's the best idea. When I have some time, I'll modify the Samplers jukebox to add an "All" option on the line containing the year links. It would list all of the years in a single playlist which would be randomly shuffled each time it's loaded. There are currently a total of 234 songs in the samplers, which should be plenty. And there will be more added each year, so the playlist will keep growing.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Mike_S

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 27, 2022, 10:47:30 PM
Quote from: Hook on April 27, 2022, 10:59:06 AMWell, we have the yearly sampler which is our pick for our best so, I guess it would be a player that plays all the yearly samplers randomly?

I think that's the best idea. When I have some time, I'll modify the Samplers jukebox to add an "All" option on the line containing the year links. It would list all of the years in a single playlist which would be randomly shuffled each time it's loaded. There are currently a total of 234 songs in the samplers, which should be plenty. And there will be more added each year, so the playlist will keep growing.

This will be a great juke box I think. It has to be said again, 64 and admins thanks for everything. This site is cared for and attended to like no other. We are a lucky community.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

I'll be diggin it!  some great ideas in here and I did not know about the random dozen mentioned...that will be something I will use...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner