D-bag Blues (rant warning) by hardlock

Started by hardlock, April 16, 2022, 04:16:49 PM

hardlock

D-bag Blues
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Been awhile since posting anything so thought I'd get this up before I messed with it too much...  :P 

Bummer is no matter how many times I mix it, it always ends up with something too loud, soft or out of balance depending on the system I'm using to hear it on.

This take after mixing only has normalization of peak at -0.05 dB and mild compression. Constructive comments always welcome.

Lyrics may be offensive to some but you already know who you are! ::) 

D-bag Blues - (c) 2022 K.J.Hill

Who do you think you are (my) friend
Slipping away to make amends

You latte sippin' - Tesla trippin' - manbun  pimpin - pretend

You really should try to keep it real
Your values - they can't steal

You BS screwin'- judgement spewin'- D-bag of a heel

Friends you had weren't hip you said
Blew them off just to get ahead

Micro brew drinkin'- patchouli oil stinkin'- you still don't have no cred

Now your friends know, you're not cool
and most agree you're just a fool

You bitcoin crypto - NFT weirdo - never gonna make it rule

Following trends without a cause
Maybe it's time you take a pause

It's not a thing to forever be lame
conform or not we're all the same
-----
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Zoltan

There's this certain Hardlock magic that makes your songs recognizable. The playing already had that feel, but as soon as i heard your vocals i knew i was in for a Hardlock ride. The thing that surprised me were the lyrics :) The melodies, soloing and everything works.

I'm not finding the right words to describe what i'm after, but there's this sense of MAGIC that happens in your songs. It's partially down to the vocal sound, but it's as much about to do the way you're playing.

I don't really have any comments about the mix. It sounds balanced and everything cuts thru nicely. Of course the mix could be worked into several other directions, but it's a matter of taste. I would probably use a lot of EQ, "tape" distortion, panned reverbs etc. but that would probably take away some of its magic...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Rene Asologuitar

Hi hardlock,
Beautiful composition.
I love the guitar accompaniment, and the lyrics is very hip and could be offensive to the folks that are  hit, but such is life, and it is what it is.
I am enjoying the whole production.
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

Farrell Jackson

The piano intro sets the cool mood right from the get-go. The guitar playing in the back ground and throughout gives the music a forlorn vibe. Your words and singing work well. Ranting helps to get things off ones mind. Nicely done!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ray Brookes

Cool track. I think the mix sounds fine IMO. Generally mixing is subjective and everything sounds perfectly placed here. Love those acidic biting lyrics and the lead guitar meandering through the song works great.
Ray Brookes

Nelson

Hey, the mix sounds great to my ears and the guitar bits throughout are tasty indeed.
Hats off 2 U
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Hook

Mix sounds good, get it off your chest brother.
Rant On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ella

Amazing! So beautiful song and beautifully playing and the way you sing is so plain. And it works!

Greeny

Liked those chords right from the beginning. Hits hard and direct lyrically, and the conversational delivery fits the subject well. Some delicious guitar parts too - that little flamenco run at the end is gorgeous. Lovely stuff.

Ted

Beautiful chords and playing. I love the false ending at 2:35. The instrumental section that precedes it shakes off the tension of the rant and resolves, as though the ranter said what he needed to say and is closing the door behind himself. But no, he turns around and rant starts again, like, "I'm not done with you yet, buster."

On a meta level, the D-bag wins without ever saying a word. He knows he's gotten under the ranter's skin, and may find smug satisfaction in that knowledge. I don't know if you meant it that way, but it works.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac