Annoying Hum (Not a "ground loop")

Started by Ted, April 15, 2022, 05:46:06 AM

TPB

I had the same problem when I had my old studio and found it was caused by two things and only effected the Strat first was dirty power I added a power conditioner to the setup and it was reduced but still had a slight hum found out the studio was lighted by Fluorescent lights right under where I was playing The Ballast (power Source) on these lights caused a hum. The only other suggestion I could give you is to boost up the shielding  around the pickups this can be done with metal tape and other products
Hope you work it out I know it can be frustrating
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Ted

Quote from: TPB on April 19, 2022, 05:56:33 AMI added a power conditioner to the setup and it was reduced but still had a slight hum found out the studio was lighted by Fluorescent lights right under where I was playing The Ballast (power Source) on these lights caused a hum.

Interesting. Right below where I record there is a bathroom, but I don't know if the lights are LED or compact fluorescent. I'll try recording with those lights turned off.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Greeny

Record in the dark. Naked.

It's the only way to be sure!

Ted

Quote from: Greeny on April 19, 2022, 03:39:38 PMRecord in the dark. Naked.

It's the only way to be sure!

With the jumper cable clipped to my...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac