Should I use the Send/Return on my SY-1?

Started by Ted, April 13, 2022, 11:58:09 AM

Ted

I recently got a Boss SY-1. I'm a little confused about the Send/Return loop.

I kind of get why I would use the send/return loop on an amplifier. But I'm not sure why I would use one on this pedal.

The way I've set up my little pedal board is that I put the most transparent effect first, then the SY-1, then chorus, then the high-pass filter, then the Micro BR.

Pedal-Board.jpg

Send-Return.jpg

Is there reason to put my chorus in the send/return loop? My Bass Xciter? My Tuner? All of the above. (I read on a forum someone recommended putting the tuner in the send/return loop.)

How is this different from putting my chorus inline before the SY-1?

Or would the send/return loop keep the SY-1 and the chorus independent – chorus untouched by the SY-1 and vice-versa? And if that's the case, it's a matter of experimenting to see what I like.

See? I don't know what I'm doing. But you all knew that.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Blooby

I would think the effect in the loop would only affect the synth sound and not your guitar signal (if you have the mix less than 100%). Could make for some cool textures.

Blooby

Ted

Quote from: Blooby on April 13, 2022, 12:02:22 PMI would think the effect in the loop would only affect the synth sound and not your guitar signal (if you have the mix less than 100%).

If that's right, it's the opposite of what I speculated:

Quote from: Ted on April 13, 2022, 11:58:09 AMOr would the send/return loop keep the SY-1 and the chorus independent – chorus untouched by the SY-1 and vice-versa?

I would have one un-synthed sound coming out of the SY-1, and another synthed sound coming out.

Hmmm... I wish I had more pedals.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Blooby

I just read a blurb online, and I believe you are correct. The author said he ran overdrives through the loop, and his guitar tone was dirty, but the synth sound was not. That's cool. I think a distorted guitar with a square wave synth sound would be humongous. Possibilities...

Blooby

Ted

Quote from: Blooby on April 13, 2022, 12:27:32 PMI think a distorted guitar with a square wave synth sound would be humongous. Possibilities...

Unfortunately, all the effects pedals I have are in the photo. My distortion effects live inside the Micro BR. I almost ordered a distortion pedal recently, but I talked myself out of it.

I will probably be playing more guitar with the band I'm in here. (This is in part because there are two other guys who want to play bass, and in part because we don't have a steady keyboardist. I'm thinking the SY-1 will make me a cheap substitute for a keyboardist.)

So I may regret not ordering the distortion pedal I wanted. I may have buy a pedal here, from among a limited selection in stores here.

Or maybe... I'll just play acoustic guitar with this band (which will sound good through the bass amp). In that case it would make sense to put the chorus in the send/return loop. The chorus effect would be on the guitar, separate from the synth effects.

Hey, look at me! I'm figuring out the send/return loop and talking myself out of a new pedal at same time!

Plus, I already ordered two pedals for the SY-1: An expression pedal, and an external footswitch (to access more features of the SY-1, such as tap tempo). So I'm kind of done spending money on pedals for awhile.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Proggy - SY-1
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's a proggy thing I captured when I was playing with the pedal with my lood nylon-string guitar. Imagine how it would sound if the synth chords were sustained (as they are) but the melodic run was not running through the synth (i.e. in the send/receive loop).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Quote from: Ted on April 14, 2022, 12:30:13 AMHere's a proggy thing I captured when I was playing with the pedal with my lood nylon-string guitar. Imagine how it would sound if the synth chords were sustained (as they are) but the melodic run was not running through the synth (i.e. in the send/receive loop).

Oh no! That's wrong. The guitar isn't supposed to sound like that. Just kidding :D I don't really have anything of value to add here. Just wanted to comment that everytime i see a pedalboard i get the feeling that i should get one. Perhaps i'll get there eventually. So far it's one pedal at a time...

What a great recording setup you got there! And the micro BR is certainly worth a gold. If everything goes well i'll be probably spending sometime in the boondocks in the coming summer. That's when i'll have to get back to basics. Ie Micro Br and either acoustic, or an electric...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

Quote from: Zoltan on April 14, 2022, 04:08:49 AMJust wanted to comment that everytime i see a pedalboard i get the feeling that i should get one. Perhaps i'll get there eventually.

I only made my pedalboard recently. I put it off for a long time – I wasn't sure if I was ready, or worthy, or something like that. Now that I have one, I feel slightly more organized than before, but not like I've stepped into a new musical dimension. I should have built one a long time ago. I made it the size of the bike bag I use to carry my pedals when I go to band rehearsal.

And when I go to a band rehearsal, I'm set up on no time. And when I get home, I'm set up again in no time. In the past, laziness would keep me from reassembling my home recording setup. And when I felt only mildly inspired, the little hurdle of having to set it up first was enough to keep me from developing the mild inspiration.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac