New Les Paul Gold Top

Started by cuthbert, April 01, 2022, 07:49:24 PM

cuthbert

Okay, not a Gibson Les Paul gold top, but a cheap Firefly LP gold top made in China. It cost me $199.95, and arrived today from California just a week after ordering it.

Firefly makes decent guitars at this price point (this is not my first one) - the finish on this one is very nice, and it's mostly playable right out of the box. The 13th fret is a bit high on the high e string, causing the note to fret out at the 12th fret. I'll try to hammer it down later, or file and re-crown it. The plastics don't match, but the pick guard and poker chip are coming off anyway. :)

The p90 soap bars sound great - very throaty, and the expected 60 cycle hum is present but at a lower level than some of my other single-coil electrics. They must have done some good grounding and shielding.

Otherwise, dr. cuthbert will be doing a setup, including setting neck relief, intonation, filing down the fret edges and polishing the frets, and then set the action at the bridge and the nut. I've been learning how to do this using my Firefly guitars since the pandemic began. They're a great platform for learning guitar setup and modding - although unfortunately, only available directly in the USA.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

That looks gorgeous....can't go wrong with P90s on a les Paul ...... good stuff

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Looks amazing for that price. Especially if you know how to get around any set-up issues. Amazing!

I do love a gold top with P90's :-)

Zoltan

P90's are lovely and they seem to be especially magical when combined with Les Paul.
Is it the bodyshape, weight, or gold top color :) i don't know, but they seem like a perfect fit.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Farrell Jackson

A great looking LP Cuthbert! With just a few adjustments and you'll have a real player, all for $199!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Looking good, nice looking guitar. I have an Epiphone Gold Top but with humbuckers, shame, I like P90's. Enjoy.    Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800