If Life's a Free Ride (The Spoke Must Be Broke)

Started by Zoltan, March 28, 2022, 01:05:05 PM

Zoltan

Time:
0:00
Volume:
Psychedelic2022 (banner image missing)

You know that i'm no saint, but i'm no evil
There's nothing in my mind to lose your sleep

You're the one who should be fearing
When the black sheep on the lam is letting loose

CH:
I know you're thinking
What little does he know
If life's a free ride
The spoke must be broke

You know that i ain't no friend of lying
You know that i can't give you an alibi

CH:
I know you're thinking
What little could he do
If life's a free ride
The spokes must be broke(n) down like you

I'm not sure if this qualifies for Psychedelic Fest. The sound i was going for was psychedelic soul. In the vein of those 60-70's biker movies soundtracks (They usually have some instrumental fuzz tracks + old timer vocal pieces). The main idea was to put the focus on the drums and bass. With vocals being somewhat old fashioned, and the singer a somekind of a third rate drunk who was carried into the studio for this particular song :D

There are some psychedelic elements / influences in the sound design. Backwards stuff, weird delays. Even mellotron and things like that, but they're buried into the mix and almost subliminal. The guitar playing is the least important element of this track so i kept the scratch track that i did while recording the vocals. I'm still a bit 50-50% if i should revisit the guitar track(s), but i'm worried they would sound rehearsed and lose some of that slapdash "charm"...

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

first off I have missed seeing your name on the list for a while....so glad to see your name pop up with a new song... and i really love this one a ton... it's like Jim Morrison and Jim Kerr were some how merged during beaming in a star trek episode..... this is actually psychedelic 80's electronica 60's rock... as in I don't know what the f this is but I know it's super!  very catchy and so many little aural nuggets to stimulate my temporal lobe!  Did you know that canaries (the birds) stop singing in autumn?  apparently the part of the brain that triggers the singing dies and is regenerated over the winter months and then they sing in the spring...ha...see what your song did?  Made me look up stuff...
you are welcome...and thank you for making my brain happy with this!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

copied from The Mind on Music: Neuroscience and Art
By: Carolyn Mish, Contributing Writer

The prefrontal cortex isn't the only area of the brain that helps process musical stimuli. Even the emotional reactions we have to our favorite songs are due to where in the brain we process pleasure. The amygdala releases dopamine, a neurotransmitter that helps us feel happy and motivated, when our favorite lyrics, verses, and songs play. This manifests as shivers down the spine and emotional displays. In addition to the amygdala, the frontal lobes, which normally operate emotions and critical thinking, help us understand lyrics and decipher the emotional code in music. This isn't limited to lyrics, either--classical composers use other aspects of music, like articulation, expression, and chord progressions to take us on emotional journeys, and our brains identify the emotional stimuli in similar ways to how they identify heart wrenching lyrics or melodies.

Once our brains understand the music we hear, we remember it. Memories of our favorite songs are stored in the hippocampus, the part of the brain that controls long term memory and learning.  Because we store music in this part of our brain, many people can identify songs based on a small snippet of the music.

Musicians experience even more aspects of music! When performing and learning to play instruments, musicians utilize the cerebellum, a part of the brain near the brain stem related to motor function and coordination. Musicians retain muscle memory as the body remembers how to play and perform by memorizing the small movements and storing that stimuli in the cerebellum. Rhythm, or the patterns that music follows, are also processed in the cerebellum, which is why you may dance or tap along to your favorite songs!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

kenny mac

This is like a phsycadelic  mustang sally sung by Jim Morrrison.
Nice laid back groove.
Bravo.

Bluesberry

Yup I really like this ....like the house band for a party at Dennis Hoppers house in the late 60s .....groove man...I can dig it

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

Absolute good psychedelic track! It has nice 60's vibe.

And what a groove!!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

Oh yeah this is 60' psychedelic music for sure! Whether intentional or not, you have the real ability to capture the tone, phrasing and swagger in your vocal delivery that brings to mind Jim Morrison. I like the title and hook line "If life's a free ride, the spoke must be broken". Very clever, I haven't heard that before. Well done in the psych. ward Zoltan!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

godinqc

I agree it has a psychedelic feel to it and your voice has a Jim Morrison vibe to it ..
really good work ..
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

Rene Asologuitar

Great song, great message.
Definitely has the psychedelic feel to the song, and you delivered it very well.
I like it.
Thanks for sharing.
Rene

BerryPatch

Great groove, it definitely has that late 60s vibe so it fits in Pysch fest. I love how the drums and bass interact with each other and you put in an excellent bluesy vocal! Love that organ too.