Started by AndyR, March 13, 2022, 10:24:45 AM

AndyR

As If It Really Matters - A A J Russe
Written 16th January 1999
Recorded 12th March 2022
The Shoebox Demos Vol 1

==============================

Crumbs, even this is 23 years old!

We used it as a set-opener in the last band I was in.

I've been trying to make a recording of it on and off for several years. Scrapped all of them.

The full production in my head has a definite feel I've been unable to capture so far.

I knew I could do it as an acoustic demo without too much trouble, this is how it was written in the first place, after all...

So here it is!

As If It Really Matters
Words & Music AndyR
--------------------------------
Everything seems to turn out fine
Each of us in the end should find
Something to say
When it matters

It should be easy just to go
Up to some stranger you don't know
To tell them
If it matters

The way that you speak of love
The way that you think of it
I understand
You say the same place
At the same time
As if it really matters

I didn't expect to meet you here
A little too soon to be so near
I'll get away
When it matters

Pretty much anything will do
Buy us a wall for me and you
Something to say
That it matters

If it's really like you say it is
There's no need to worry now
You'll be fine
We'll say the same thing
At the same time
As if it really matters

Copyright (C) 1999 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ray Brookes

Some songs seem to lend themselves to a full production treatment and others to a simple acoustic accompaniment; I think this song fits the latter IMO. The reflective subject matter of the lyrics could get lost in an 'over-production' so yeah - I say keep it nice and simple with just that acoustic guitar. Another good song from your past! How many more you got?
Ray Brookes

AndyR

Quote from: Ray Brookes on March 13, 2022, 02:11:42 PMSome songs seem to lend themselves to a full production treatment and others to a simple acoustic accompaniment; I think this song fits the latter IMO. The reflective subject matter of the lyrics could get lost in an 'over-production' so yeah - I say keep it nice and simple with just that acoustic guitar. Another good song from your past! How many more you got?

Funnily enough, I'm reaching the same conclusion about this one. It worked so well as a set opener, though. I started it with the F, Dm/F on guitar (Les Paul or SG set for warm scrunch, almost clean), then the band kicks in and we were off.

On the how many... hard to say with any precision! There's quite a lot of them - at least 60 in the queue at the moment... and that's probably less than half of the "possibles". The positive reaction to some of the ones I've posted over the last week or two is actually encouraging me to throw the net wider. 

There's one my Dad wants me to do... it was the high point of my acoustic set in 1979/80 but I find it kinda embarrassingly naive now... I think I probably have to do it, but... ;D
If/when that one is done, it opens the flood gates for ALL the songs I wrote back then - some seem REALLY naff lyrically to me.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Blooby

Lovely descending chord progression there. Loved how The Beatles used that to great effect. Really enjoying your voice on this one.

Not to diminish your recording skills (because they are great), but that acoustic records really well. Could you remind me what it is?

Peace.

Blooby

AndyR

Quote from: Blooby on March 13, 2022, 06:20:19 PMLovely descending chord progression there. Loved how The Beatles used that to great effect. Really enjoying your voice on this one.

Not to diminish your recording skills (because they are great), but that acoustic records really well. Could you remind me what it is?

Peace.

Blooby

It's a Fender Paramount PM-2. A parlour sized 12 fretter. It's the all mahogany, natural finish model, no pickup.

It's actually new, arrived last week. It replaced the one that died a violent death while recording song #13 in my FAWM thing the other week. Song #14, "Paramount" is about that guitar.

I never really got on with the first one, but it was pretty. My favourite is my Martin, but that kicks out more bottom end (a lot for a parlour sized) and is therefore slightly harder to record like this (one mic, guitar and vocal live). My old Godin 5th Avenue stepped in when the first Paramount died - that's always been good for recording like this. It has an arched top made of cherry - that gives a nice tight sound.

But I no longer had a mahogany topped guitar... and, apparently, they're well known for being superb recording guitars. So when I discovered that Fender were still making the same model and they are still AWFULLY LOADS CHEAPER than ANY OTHER parlour sized with a solid mahogany top... I decided to replace it.

This new one is not quite so pretty - although it's getting there already, the natural almost unfinished wood takes on a patina with handling. BUT, the neck is much more to my liking, a lot chunkier, more C profile as advertised (rather than the weird D of the last one - I kept the neck as a reminder). And the sound is richer, but still with the tight bottom end. When I replace the strings with monel stings (Martin make them), this one will really come into its own.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Zoltan

Quoteit opens the flood gates for ALL the songs I wrote back then - some seem REALLY naff lyrically to me.

Nah, don't try to second guess yourself! You can never underestimate the audiences enough...(* !

Just kidding! The lyrics can be a weird thing. Sometimes the stuff one feels is too naive just doesn't sound like that to others. And the same applies the other way around. The stuff one would be ready to "die" for and feel the most passionate about might sound like a sudden case of halitosis at a singles party to others. Some of the best lyrics in the world are naive to others and groundbreaking to some. Also there's nothing wrong in naivety and simplicity either.

What i'm trying to say... These songs of yours are so good! And the performances are so strong (This one is especially spirited in the vocal department imho) that it would be a shame not to hear all the stages of your musical / songwriting career :)

(* this is a real quote from an performing artist btw ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

BerryPatch

Absolutely love it Andy! The melody and chord sets are so strong here, I think Mr. Rick Beato would gush over this track. The lyrics are very fine here too. I can definitely see this one being fleshed out into a full production, it has that sort of sound to it. I'm loving the LITLR tracks, it's a great way of putting songs out to the world without having to worry about arrangement and production (I think I might be doing a few of those moving forward!). This is one real gem of a song.

StephenM

yup... i like this one lots and lots... but I could like it rocking out too.... whichever is the right decision!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

maxit

LoL I agree, rick beato would explain 'why this is a great song'. I can't tell why, but I can tell when I find one, like this one.
recorder
Audacity

Redler

Another winner!! Excellent songwriting and man with guitar/voice works extremely nicely here.

Great melody and everything is in balance.

Enjoyable listening!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR