I Want You To Know (LITLR) - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, March 08, 2022, 02:40:54 AM

AndyR

I Want You To Know - A A J Russe
Written 21st June 1987
Recorded 6th March 2022
The Shoebox Demos Vol 1

==============================

This was to the same lady who inspired Foolishness. There's a couple of others from the same period, related to her, that will be appearing soon, I guess.

I kind of dismissed this one soon after writing it. Probably because the Wednesday/Friday references were far too specific and would have resulted in far too many people (her, especially!) knowing what I was singing about.

A few years later, when I was home-recording with a 4-track cassette player, I found it and did a little band demo. I discovered I love the tune and the hook.

So, sooner or later I might reproduce that arrangement - it sounds FABULOUS in my head! lol

It's weird revisiting these old songs. With this one, in today's world, the first thing that comes to my mind, based on what's in the lyrics, is "stalker". That's kind of sad that that's the first thing we think of.

It's not what was going on at all. It was work colleagues, she was 10-15 years older and in a relationship she wanted out of but didn't think she could/should. She also thought she was a bit old for the younger guy and that he could do better for himself (and she probably thought he'd drive her crazy!). They used to go for walks together in the countryside (office was in a little village) every lunch time... She thought it would be easier if he stopped saying stuff out loud to her, please... So he wrote this song.

At the time, I thought of this as an "unrequited love" song. I realise now that it WAS requited but we both thought it was not a good idea for various reasons. This was just me expressing stuff she'd asked me not to say to her face anymore because it was too difficult.

But now...
... in today's world
... the first thing I think, hearing (and singing) this stuff expressed like this, is "stalker"
That is so sad.

I'm quite happy to sing it like that in a creepy/threatening/desperate way - works real well for me as a song like that now. It's not what it was, though.

I Want You To Know
Words & Music AndyR
--------------------------------
I'm missing you now of a Wednesday
You used to be there now you're not
You said that you don't want to hear it
But I want you to know
I want you to know
My feelings are rising against me
Your embarrassment just feeds my disease
Watching your smile
I know all the while
I'll need you to know
You'll just have to know

Why can't we talk about this
I've wondered for months about it
Everything's wrong about it
I know
Yes I know
But I want you to know
I want you to know

My weekends will end on a Friday
But I don't want to see you at night
I don't think I could stand being closer to you
But I'd still like to know
I want you to know
If maybe perhaps things were different
If the light and the air were just right
Do you think maybe then
If things were different my friend
But I've no right to know
I can't expect you to know

Why can't we talk about this
I've wondered for months about it
Everything's wrong about it
I know
Yes I know
But I want you to know
I want you to know
Yes I want you to know
I want you to know
I need you to know
I just have to know

Copyright (C) 1987 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

StephenM

I love the chugging guitar...that is great.  I would love to hear this in a full production.  It sounds great as is though.  As to the lyrical content it must be weird to look back at the thing you were "going through" at the time.

Relationships of all sorts can be complicated.  Good you explained it. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Groundy

Great sound Andy, as Stephen said great chugging guitar, well done...Alex.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

godinqc

Really good song, it's great as it is but would also like to hear it in a full arrangement .
Really liked the desperateness in your voice
Great work.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

Ray Brookes

This is a cool song as it sits, Andy; as others have said I'd like to hear it developed with a full arrangement/band. All the ingredients are there, just waiting to be produced. Good lyrics too BTW that portrays the longing but not in a stalker kind of way in my opinion. 
Ray Brookes

AndyR

Quote from: Ray Brookes on March 09, 2022, 11:22:13 AMThis is a cool song as it sits, Andy; as others have said I'd like to hear it developed with a full arrangement/band. All the ingredients are there, just waiting to be produced. Good lyrics too BTW that portrays the longing but not in a stalker kind of way in my opinion.

Cheers for that :)
I've had several other folks say they don't hear stalker, either - so I'm less concerned now! lol
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hook

I don't hearvstalker in the lyrics...but know y
What little I know about you??
Great tune & performance brother. Well done.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely