The Feast (LITLR) - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, March 04, 2022, 07:52:50 AM

AndyR

The Feast - A A J Russe
Written 26th September 1985
Recorded 3rd March 2022
The Shoebox Demos Vol 1

============================

I was just tooling up to record another one, and realised I hadn't posted this one on here yet (I'm a day ahead of what I'm posting here, I'm trying not to post more than one a day!)

This one's been sticking out of the shoebox for a long long while. It always shows up in a list of maybes. And it did this time. I decided to get it done asap.

I didn't fancy it first up, partly because it's a lot harder to sing than I always imagine.

This is a definite "band song", it's got duel lead guitars and everything.

But, like all the others, it was written a bit like this. I probably wrote it on a strat, though, not an acoustic.

The Feast
Words & Music AndyR
--------------------------------
There's a vision presents itself
I'll take it when the time is ripe for me
But in the meanwhile
She's on the bough
I'll take my seat
By harvest she'll be mine

Prepare her for the feast
Present her on a plate
I'll treat her like a queen

Now to matters close at hand
I live my life
I try to make my plans
My day is slumber my night is work
Where are the hours to fo the things we love

You've got some foolish friends
They're keeping you on your own
You're trying to start a new life
You'd like to build a home
But this is nothing new
There's others just like you
The fight is still  a game
The hurt will come again

I went to visit an ailing friend
He's dying now
He thinks he's on the mend
The soon departed will leave a gap
We'll miss his smile
We'll miss his heavy hand

Prepare him for the feast
Present him in a robe
He'll sit there with the king

And so the vision will sup with me
The friends are gone
We're dining now alone
They weren't invited to the feast
I did not think them welcome in my home

You've got some foolish friends
Theyd keep you on your own
You're trying to start a new life
You'd like to build a home
But this is nothing new
There's others just like you
The fight is still a game
The hurt will come again

Copyright (C) 1985 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Mike_S

This is a great performance Andy. Some songs just kinda slip by unnoticed every now and again unfortunately, I honestly think it's just bad luck. But this one definitely deserved some comments. Cracking song, intriguing lyrics and yeah, great performance.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

thetworegs

Missed this beauty to....good bump Mike this definitely needs some more ears...loving the simplicity of just guitar and voice

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

StephenM

not only deserved but sometimes the great art goes unnoticed for a time.  The music is great, but that is not what caught me here because I am smart enough these days to go right for the lyrics on the Andy songs...
and wow is that incredible... a couple of times as the song rolled along whilst I read the ramble I sat straight up in my chair, my mind reeling as to whatever these lyrics could mean.  The song and reading created some great images in my head.  Bravo...
It's kind of like that piece of art that someone finds in a bargain bin store and no one knows it's real value until that one person gets it and as it turns out, it's priceless...
enjoyed the singing and delivery as well, along with the strumming..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

I like the playful vocals you're doing here. The guitar playing is at times understated, but the way you're at times cleverly bringing the guitar fills into the foreground shows the extent of your musical mastery.

You really have a great grip on these man & guitar type of performances. I agree that this sounds more like a band song done as an acoustic performance as there's so much going on. You're still able to keep it going and showcase all the different ideas. Perhaps even too much so? I mean i've rarely heard a solo acoustic performance with this much going on. It's not like you're overplaying, but it really does sound like more people than one doing the duties, and in this case sharing the parts would make it more relaxed (in lack of a better term).

Great performance and an interesting song. I don't think this song works 100% if heard only once. There's so much going on both lyrics & melody wise. It's more of a strong album track than a lead off single.

Damn Andy. Could we trade? I'll go the crossroads and bring a fuzz pedal with me (some lesser one, i'm not  a total doofus) and you'll trade it for some of your chops? You have them in excess :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

This is a cracker of a song. Musically it's great and love the lyrics and vocals.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ron D Bowes

Maybe hard to sing (and I can hear why) but it's a grand job you've done here. Great lyrics, great vocal dlivery and super song!