Sleep Through

Started by WarpCanada, February 22, 2022, 12:09:42 AM

WarpCanada

Sleep Through
Time:
0:00
Volume:
The lyrics came through all in a little rush, after I spent a few hours messing around with an orchestra and piano arrangement that is exactly the track you hear.     I apologize if there's too much reverb, but I just adore this RAUM reverb thing, and I probably use way too much of it. Sigh.  Anyways, the lyrics are pure angst, and it's therapeutic to make a song where it's not exactly ME I'm writing about, but it's not exactly NOT me either.   Certainly the feeling that there's more of my life in the rear view mirror than there is ahead is true, but I'm actually a pretty happy dude, and I find these things pop out of my head that are similar to the anxieties in my dreams, but less like actual autobiography....

Where did your life go?
Did you sleep through most of it?
Were you collecting stuff?
Making money?
Did you make the most of it?
Your days are dissappearing
In the rear view mirror.

Your breath is raspy.
Your heart is sore.
Your hands are shaking.
You wanted to be so much more.
Than what you've become.

Did your best years disappear
While you were lost in a bottle?
Did you lose track of your dreams?
Did you fall apart at the seams?

Where did your life go?

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

StephenM

the keys sound amazing...great job doing that.  it's soft and pulls me in... like to listen closer.  It makes me feel like it's going to be ok.
no apologies on the voice effects... you are the artist, and you work with the engineer and producer to get what is desired... the entire reason we never heard more like this on the radio is because songs were made to appeal to the majority of people... I like the effect...it is a bit of your trademark too.
lyrics I can relate too...
and I go through similar thoughts. no matter what we do or don't do the end result is the same for all...sigh... but I believe in heaven so that is a wonderful thought for me

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Rob Grant

Such great orchestration on this piece. Nice choice of instruments. Really nice recording and lyrical thoughts????
"The road to hell is paved with good intents"

AndyR

Nice one.

Yep, angsty, but I can relate.

I can also relate to what you're saying - I'm basically happy, but I wonder about stuff like this too.
I was thinking my voice was finally caving a week or two ago - and, to be honest, I'm not too worried by it...
(Turns out it wasn't, it was more that it wasn't fit!).

Liking the piano and strings.
Can't really say about the reverb, it's an artistic choice (which fills me with angst on my own stuff!!).
But I can say this... doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment here - so I think you got it right, or at least not wrong!! ;D
(You know, when someone really does put too much or inappropriate, you kinda "know" when listening... not here at all)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Zoltan

Twin Peaks! The vocals coupled with the piano made me think of that. Cool mood piece with lyrics that many are able to relate to.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Think you have done a lovely piece here Warren. Those dreamy keys and synths wash right through you. I am a big fan. Some sweet melody and worked up and arranged really well. But the best part is the nugget of the idea and how you have explained it is really interesting. I think even the happiest/settled of people have deep reflective moments that in the end puts us all on a par with one another. We all feel the pain of just being alive... and if it's not sounding too hippy like... maybe we all feel a sort of communal human fragility.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

BerryPatch

This is like music in between dreams. That kind of moment where you know you're not dreaming just reflecting on different things. The lyrics are brilliant here, so descriptive and visual, you can piece together the emotions into a cohesive reflection on life after all is said and done. I love the soft music too, perfectly complements the words. Love to hear from you Warren!

Ray Brookes

A beautiful piece of music, Warren. Great subject matter portrayed excellently with the dreamscape backing.
Ray Brookes

cuthbert

Your lyrics here resonate with me in many ways. My thoughts have just tended to be more introspective as time rolls on.

Personally, I like the dream-like, twilight sound of the music and vocals - both of which get enhanced well with your choice of reverb(s).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase