First flirtation with Phrygian

Started by Martin S, February 12, 2022, 03:28:47 PM

Martin S

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

My first post here so hello
Thanks to Tim Clay for supplying backing track called Desert Sunrise - you can find it on ebutuoy
Recorded the guitar part using Reaper which am trying to get my head round
Guitar is an Schecter through a spark amp

Mike_S

hi Martin,

So from listening to this, if this is you after only 6 months of lessons (have I understood that right?) you are going to really do some amazing things on the instrument. You have a very natural feel and ear for melody. This sounds great. I could only have dreamed of playing this well after 6 months playing. So looking forward to hearing more!!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Martin S

Thanks Mike
Nah - have been taking lessons for 6 mths but had a guitar for decades. Most of that time was spent pretty aimlessly messing about picking up the odd riff or two
Just before the pandemic I started to try to improve and realised there's so much grea stuff on the net then I ended up taking lessons from a self proclaimed 'fat Nothern bloke'
He's really helped me figure out how scales are connected and stuff (you should have heard me 6 mths back)
Unfortunately can't hold a bar chord down to save myself yet - but will come I hope

Mike_S

Quote from: Martin S on February 13, 2022, 03:57:21 PMThanks Mike
Nah - have been taking lessons for 6 mths but had a guitar for decades. Most of that time was spent pretty aimlessly messing about picking up the odd riff or two

Ha ha, that sounds a bit like me... a lot (many years actually) aimlessly noodling away.

Quote from: Martin S on February 13, 2022, 03:57:21 PMI ended up taking lessons from a self proclaimed 'fat Nothern bloke'
He's really helped me figure out how scales are connected and stuff (you should have heard me 6 mths back)
Unfortunately can't hold a bar chord down to save myself yet - but will come I hope

That sounds a wee bit like a certain Mr John Robson... who is a member here, I have watched his podcast a few times... he does a great job!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Martin S

On the subject of lessons I'd always imagined that by endlessly noodling with no clear guidance or structure I would somehow get the hang of it by osmosis
But didn't work like that for me
So glad I took the plunge

Blooby

Quote from: Martin S on February 13, 2022, 04:15:52 PMOn the subject of lessons I'd always imagined that by endlessly noodling with no clear guidance or structure I would somehow get the hang of it by osmosis

Unfortunately, you've just described my learning process.

Lovely playing. You are making music by all definitions early on, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say regarding my early stages.

Welcome.

Blooby

WarpCanada

>Unfortunately, you've just described my learning process.

Mine too. Hello tribe.

I only just stumbled into this jams forum and hey, have I got some jams for you guys.  If you like em weird and slightly wobbly.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada