They Know Nothing

Started by Mike_S, February 12, 2022, 03:26:48 PM

Mike_S

They Know Nothing
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Trying to remember what I was thinking when I wrote the lyrics... I think it's the latest in a long line of songs about general dissatisfaction about the direction the world seems to be going in.

2 rhythm guitars left and right (mex strat)
1 lead guitar
Bass, drums and keys... garageband. Using the softer kit again called Blue Ridge
1 vocal

I've been around a long time,
I've seen a lot of strange things
And I can't find the way to let you know
Don't even know how to begin

Nobody seems to have the answers
But everyone has got their say
They sure do a lot of talking
But at the end of the day
They know nothing

They know nothing
They know nothing
They know nothing at all

They tell you what you should be thinking
And all the things you cannot say
And do you know the world it once made sense?
Well it seems like only yesterday

Maybe the good well it just needs a little bad
Maybe we're meant to take a fall
You know that they do a lot of talking
They know nothing

They know nothing
They know nothing
They know nothing at all

——Solo—

Nobody seems to have the answers
But everyone has got their say
They sure do a lot of talking
They know nothing

They know nothing
They know nothing
They know nothing at all
recorder
iPad GarageBand

thetworegs

Got to agree Mike who's in charge? No one seems to know ....Kinda got a kind of dire straits thing going on with the guitars to my ear....  an excellent track

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

StephenM

that intro is so massive!!!!  the guitars sound amazing...so big so wide so powerful so chimy so good...but as loud as they are they don't overwhelm your amazing voice on the vocals....
I love the words... kind of a touch of what I was trying to say in part of the song I wrote a while back called "Get Up Hippie Dude".... I explored the idea of getting pulled down into the mud and everyone talking but not knowing anything really... we all think we are experts about everything.... I deleted my FB account 2 years ago because I felt myself getting swept away in the quicksand to nowhere.  It was killing my soul and I found I was losing my goodwill toward man... I started asking why I was choosing to behave like this.  I decided to change what I could...
enough of that.. this song spells it out..in a great rock song way...  the music kind of defies the lyrical content.  It's make the message much more tolerable and not condemning rather an imploring to look at oneself... another Mike S masterpiece..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

AndyR

Awww yes...
Love this.
Jangly guitars and a cool vocal with a strong lyric.

"Maybe the good well it just needs a little bad"

loved that line.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

This has a lovely clean sound, that strat guitar sounds great. Nice drum kit and the bass drives the song along nicely with them.
It sounds a bit like a Tom petty track, the production is brilliant and the structure. Great music all round. I can relate to your lyrics as can most people these days I think..what the hell is going on with the world these days?

Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ray Brookes

Great lyrics, Mike - a social comment on the mess we seem to be in. Gotta love that guitar work - fantastic clean sound and great production.
Ray Brookes

WarpCanada

This has a really awesome Dire Straits meets Tom Petty vibe.

I love the 90s jangle-rock sound.  Also I totally feel the lyric.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Zoltan

Michael Stipe is that you? I can hear that Peter Buck hasn't lost his jangle!

The drum track is somewhat stiff and it works in a perfect balance with the more floaty and jangly guitars. The vocals take the center stage like they should. The lyrics have weight and come thru loud and clear. Enjoyable and highly catchy songwriting with strong performances!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

guitarron

Quote from: StephenM on February 12, 2022, 04:39:42 PMthat intro is so massive!!!!  the guitars sound amazing...so big so wide so powerful so chimy so good...but as loud as they are they don't overwhelm your amazing voice on the vocals....

Really like your style Mike. Top notch stuff. Keep on rocking

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Farrell Jackson

These are some very insightful lyrics Mike....I agree, they know nothing. The widespread guitars sound great and have a lot of presence without being overpowering. The vocal sits in the middle with ease. This all means that the mix is perfect to my ears. Well done!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?