Let The Race Be Won (LITLR) - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, February 12, 2022, 01:03:16 PM

AndyR

Another Songwriting Demo for FAWM 2022

Song number 7.

(UPDATE: Title Change. No change to the recording, but it's obviously called "Let The Race Be Won" :))

This one was easy to write but hard work singing and recording.

I'm fairly certain this one is high on the list of "arrange me later" - I kept getting very tempted to overdub it.

Also it would be much easier to sing in a multi-track situation.

And it would like drums. And backing vocals. Vodka Martini. Olives.

Anyways, demo is done.

That's seven completed songs written in seven days - never done that before!

Let The Race Be Won
Words & Music AndyR
--------------------------------
You'd be surprised
At what you can achieve
Just take it easy
Don't be deceived
By the voice
Playing in your head
It's only you repeating
What someone said

Let the race
Be won
By those who choose
To run
And that's
Anyone

Do not be scared
Of what you might reveal
No-one will notice
No-one will steal
Let the fires
Of your own mystery
Light your road
To where you could be

And let the race
Be won
By those who choose
To run
And that's
Anyone

Anyone can do it
Anyone like you
Don't you ever doubt it
Because anyone is you

Let the race
Be won
By those who choose
To run
And that's
Anyone

Copyright (C) 2022 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

StephenM

I read the lyrics before I listened.  The lyrics are so true and important to understand.  It's taking me a long time to get this (still working on it, thanks for the reminder)...
the beginning maybe was a bit awkward if any of it is...this sounds good as is... very good and very believable.  Like I feel you the deliverer of the song believe it.  Both in the playing and the singing.  Nice little break in there too... Let the race be won by those who choose to run...
nice...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

AndyR

Quote from: StephenM on February 12, 2022, 04:47:48 PMI read the lyrics before I listened.  The lyrics are so true and important to understand.  It's taking me a long time to get this (still working on it, thanks for the reminder)...
the beginning maybe was a bit awkward if any of it is...this sounds good as is... very good and very believable.  Like I feel you the deliverer of the song believe it.  Both in the playing and the singing.  Nice little break in there too... Let the race be won by those who choose to run...
nice...

Hehe... I was thinking of you a little as well, but you've already got the message, same as I have :)
This is what really sparked it:

I'm a PreSonus Sphere Member. Their subscription service where you get ALL their software and a bunch of content.
Anyways, there's a Sphere Community starting up.
Yesterday, I was resting, and I posted a picture of the view from my sofa where the core of my studio has moved to while I'm doing this challenge.

There's a young guy (genius) in New York on there who commented:
"Great job, that seems like a lot of writing I am not sure I would have enough ideas to participate in that. I really like your simple setup its awesome!"

I replied:
"You'd be surprised. I'm finding ideas - when the barrel seemed empty - coming from all over the place. In fact, after posting, a new idea started up - not sure it's going anywhere yet, though!
I was inspired with half an idea when I started last Saturday, and now the more I do, the more stuff comes. It FEELS amazing. I'd recommend giving something like this a go - doesn't have to be public, just challenge yourself. I think you might be surprised at how many new ideas you can actually have when you think you've run out :)
"

That's where this song came from.
The "a new idea started up" is that deliberately tentative intro - not captured to my taste yet, it's probably more a production thing, needs all the body taken off, stick it in a different space, maybe it's a strat not an acoustic, I dunno (the vocal leads the band in, drums start there).

I left this intro there on this demo for two reasons:
1. I'll need it so I can remember what it was, if I want it, when I come to record the real version!!
2. I'll be replying to the thread on the Sphere, with "there you go, the intro was the idea, this exhange with you gave me the song - many thanks"

I reminded myself last night - even though folks are being kind enough to say "I like it like this", and so do I - that these recordings are just DEMOS, I've been getting sucked into believing they are finished articles in themselves - but that was never the intention. That's why yesterday's recording was such a pig! ;D

Some of the songs might not go much further, but this one is likely to. I already know of a couple of changes. The big "Anyone can do it" section (think latter day Take That for sound) will be twice as long and will actually sound big ;D ;D :D. The title will probably change to "Let The Race Be Won".

Oh, here's the pic I posted:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

StephenM

I see you have a very necessary ingredient there in the rack on the wall...the wine!
nice to see your photo.  I enjoy getting a little insight into the artist life.  While I believe it is possible to write and create and even produce almost anywhere nowadays (I have done vocals in the car and truck, songs in the camper etc, Hook records in the car regular) I believe having an organized space that is comfortable for the artist is important.  It allows me to not have to think as much about setup of equipment (already done), where are cords, guitars etc... That way I can focus on songs, on creating, on playing, on recording....plus it's just cool to have a space.  I have redone "my space" at least 5 times including upgrading computer etc...
The space is also used once in a while by other family members not often though. I find the more time I spend in here the easier it is to find music and to create.  Mike said I am like a painter with an empty canvass and just start painting to see what comes out.  I would say that absolutely nails my creative process at least on 50% of my songs...right now I am in the rabbit hole of messing with that last song more...lol.. as in completely redoing it!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Oldrottenhead

7 songs in 7 days wow! Great song i need to find the rest now, when i get the chance to pop in i usually go straght to the songcrafters jukebox to catch up. None of your demos are on that, i presume they are uploaded and linked to another site or somesuch.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 13, 2022, 08:43:22 AM7 songs in 7 days wow! Great song i need to find the rest now, when i get the chance to pop in i usually go straght to the songcrafters jukebox to catch up. None of your demos are on that, i presume they are uploaded and linked to another site or somesuch.

Oh yes! They're not there. Nothing I've posted in the last week.
I rarely use jukeboxes, so didn't notice.

All the others are, though?
And they're all in the same place (alonetone) with the same sort of link.

All these new ones are on the 1st page of Originals at the moment.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1